Chapter 65

Vanessa's POV

"When did that arrive?" I ask my father. "Three days ago," he tells me. "I called your mother immediately and she booked a plane ticket to come here."

"And did you... Did you open it already?" I ask him and he shakes his head. "That's your honor," he smiles at me, handing me the white envelope. "Uh, okay," I say, staring at it. This one small envelope holds my whole future. If the rejected me, I really don't know what I am going to do. "Come on, open it," my mom smiles. "Uhm, okay," I say. I slowly open the envelope. I take the letter out of it and slowly unfold it. "Can I get some privacy?" I ask them and they nod. They leave the room, going towards the kitchen. I take the letter and start reading it in silence. A bright smile forms on my face after reading the first paragraph. "Oh my gosh!" I squeal and my parents immediately come back into the room. I read the letter for them out loud. 

"Dear Miss Vanessa Parker, we take great pleasure in offering admission to Stanford University's Class of 2019. Congratulations! We know that you will bring something original and extraordinary to the intellectual life of our campus and look forward to having you join the Stanford community," I excitedly read my letter. "Honey, I'm so proud of you," my mom squeals, embracing me into a hug. "So proud," my father says, coming into the hug. "I'm so happy," I say, not being able to stop smiling. "So, that means you will be moving to California this fall," my mom says and I nod. "That's far away," my father sighs. "Oh, daddy," I say, embracing him. "I'm going to visit you as much as I can."

"I hope so," he chuckles. "I'm not even in the same country as her, that's worse," my mom chuckles. "I'll visit you every holiday," I promise her, taking her into my arms. "I know you will, honey," she says, before bringing me in front of her and putting her hand on my cheek. "But the most important thing is you, focusing on your studies, okay?" I nod, giving her a smile. "Promise," I say.

"I'm gonna call Drew," I smile, before excusing myself to go to my bedroom. I take my phone from my desk and immediately dial my brother's number. It rings two times, before he picks up. "Hey sis," he says, his voice surprised. "What's up?"

"Guess who's gonna be studying at the beaches of San Francisco this fall?" I say to him. "No way!" he says. "Congrats, sis! I'm proud!" 

"Thanks," I chuckle. "Does mom know?" he asks me. "Yeah, she's even here. Mom and dad totally surprised me," I tell him. "Oh great, I'm gonna pass by this week then," he tells me. "Yeah, great," I smile, even though he can't see me. "I'm really proud of you, little sis," he says. "Thanks, big bro," I chuckle. 

...

"Why did you call me? What's wrong?" Evan asks me, sitting next to me on the bench in the park. I haven't told him the good news yet. I wanted to tell him face to face. "No, nothing's wrong," I smile at him. "Then what is it?" he asks, raising an eyebrow up at me. "I got accepted into Stanford," I say to him. "Serious?" he asks and I heavily nod. He takes me into his arms and I chuckle. "I'm so proud of you, babe," he says to me. "Thanks," I smile, before pecking his lips. "If I got my letter than you should've got it too, right?" I ask him. "Uhm, I don't know, I haven't really checked," he says, scratching the back of his head. "Oh, okay," I say. "You'll tell me when you get it?"

"Course," he half smiles. He gets up from the bench and reaches his hand out to me. "Now, let's finish that walk," he says and I smile, before taking his hand and standing up. We continue walking around in the park and after a while, I walk towards his house with him. "That was a really long walk," I say and he chuckles. "But it was nice."

"You wanna come inside for a while?" he asks me and I nod. We get inside his house and go towards the kitchen. He hands me a bottle o water and I open it, before taking a sip of it. "Is your mother gonna stay for long?" he asks me and I nod. "Yeah, really long," I smile. "My brother's wedding is in a month, so she'll stay until then."