Chapter 05

He felt calm.

Recently, whenever Cleatt woke up, his head would often throb with a dull, and light pain, but for a moment, his head cleared as if the haze completely cleared from his mind.

It’s been a while since he woke up like this. He opened his eyes as he thought for a moment, ‘It’s probably because I napped even though it’s just for a bit,’ but there was a weird, out-of-place feeling on his head.

Cleatt’s eyes met someone’s when he opened them, and was surprised, but he didn’t let it show. The other person’s probably surprised as well. Opening both her light brown eyes, she met Cleatt’s gaze.

Cleatt, and even this woman, looked at each other without saying anything like statues. Both of them silently looked at each other like wild animals that’s ready to bolt at the slightest movement.

In the brief silence, she quietly removed something warm from Cleatt’s head. When Cleatt noticed, Ah, so it was her hand, the woman who had seemingly had her hand on his forehead quietly stood up without a word, took her cleaning tools, and moved to leave.

“Please excuse me.”

She bowed her head at Cleatt once with just those words, and left the room. Cleatt gazed at the door as it closed with a click, and without knowing how he should have responded, could only see her off.

Cleatt, who was slightly absentminded, noticed that his head just now had been clear more so than it had ever been, and hurriedly took out a pocket watch from his breast pocket.

That’s because he only planned on resting for a bit, but must have slept for a long time. But when he looked at the watch, not much time had passed just as he estimated, and let out a sigh of relief. 

Well, if they really needed me for something, somebody would send out a Calling Bird to me.

Cleatt slowly got up, sat on the chair, and thought about what had happened just now. He’s seen that girl earlier.

Cleatt, whose memory is good, mostly never forgets a face he’s seen once. She’s probably a new court lady who came in this past year or two.

He’s passed by her multiple times in the corridors. But of course, they’ve never talked to each other.

Seeing her cleaning tools, she must have come to this room to clean it, and noticed him there. And freely touched him.

Normally, one would think of this kind of incident as unappealing. There was also the possibility of her attacking him in his sleep, making it into an actual truth, and pressing for marriage.

In the kingdom of Lucott, there are many assertive women, so one has to be on their toes about it. Especially for Cleatt, whose position is high, and is of a good lineage.

There have been many women who approached him back then, but Cleatt doesn’t particularly like strong-willed, assertive women.

Because of his family’s military lineage, there were many strong-willed people in it, and if it’s to play around with, he’d rather not choose a wife like that. That’s why he’s still unmarried even until now.

“Am I so careless now from fatigue…?”

Cleatt muttered to himself, but he wasn’t uncomfortable at all. That’s because that woman didn’t have an assertive air to her. In fact, it’s as if she was air.

It looked like she wasn’t expecting anything from Cleatt. Usually, when people aim for him, they’d talk to him after he wakes up.

It seems that the woman didn’t think he’d wake up. Her wide-open eyes were filled with surprise, and embarrassment.