Chapter 25

I hear a few knocks on the door, and by the amazing smell that comes with it, I know exactly who it is.

"Makada?" I hear him through the door. I can hear through his polite words that he's agitated. I can even feel it through our new connection. With him marking me, I can feel his emotions, when they're strong enough. Thank god I haven't marked him so he can't feel mine.

"Makada, I know you're in there. Let me in." He knocks again.

I take a deep breath in, trying to come up with something to say to him that will sound convincing.

"Okay, I'm done with this bullshit." he mutters on the other side. A loud bang follows soon afterwards, and I look wide-eyed at what used to be the door. In its place stands Roman. He seems frustrated, his grey suit-pants wrinkled, probably from sitting at a desk all day. His white button down is unbuttoned for the first few buttons, and his tie is hanging un-tied and loose around his neck. All in all, he looks amazingly hot.

He looks around the room until he spots me, but instead of charging at me and hugging me and putting his head in the crook of my neck like he usually has, he just stands there, looking at me.

I start to feel uncomfortable in the silence, and my fingers fiddle with the drawstring of my sweatpants, looking away from him.

"Makada, look at me."

I look up at him. I can sense his anger, I can see the hurt in his eyes, and I can see the confusion etched on his face.

"Makada, you need to tell me what's happening with you, right now."

I take a deep breath in.

"I haven't been feeling good -"

"DON'T LIE TO ME." he shouts. I can tell that he's frustrated. Frustrated that I'm not with him, frustrated he doesn't know what's going on, frustrated that he can't help.

"I just need some space." I mutter. I turn away from him and walk towards my bathroom - my escape from this conversation. I go to close the door, but his foot stands in the way. He opens the bathroom door wide and steps towards me.

"No, I've given you two days of space. I'm your mate, Makada. I'm your mate! We're supposed to trust each other-"

"My grandmother" I blurt out.

He looks a little taken aback, but he recovers and looks at me, waiting for me to continue.

"My grandmother she - she's sick."

I look up at him, waiting for him to snap. Waiting for him to see through my lie, but his expression is only soft.

"I'm sorry baby," He says softly. He reaches out to me, but I flinch away. The sudden movement makes me trip on the bathroom rug and I fall right onto my butt. Flashes of Jaxon come back to me, smashing his lips on mine, and trespassing my mark; Roman's mark. Him pushing me to the ground, and the searing pain that came afterwards. I wrap my arms around my body and try to hold back the tears.

"Shh, baby. I'm sorry, this must be hard for you. I'm sorry I yelled," he whispers. "It's alright, I love you and I'm always here to protect you."

Not always...

I watch him as he slowly bends down in front of me, but I move back, Jaxon's memory coming back. He notices and sits down on the tile bathroom floor with me. He just sits there, his legs criss-crossed, waiting patiently for me to calm down.

I look up into his eyes to see nothing but love. I study his face, looking at the beautiful details that I've been missing. I slowly inch closer to him, seeing if he'll lunge at me, seeing if in any way he would hurt me.

All at once, I jump into his arms and wrap my arms around his neck, the familiar sparks erupting.

I can't hold back the tears anymore and I simply just sob into his chest, letting my barricade crumble in front of him.

He doesn't shush me or tell me to stop, but rubs my back in soothing circles until my sobs are reduced to just sniffles.

"I'm always here for you baby, I'm always here." He whispers. He kisses my temple, the sparks following the small action, making me just want to sit here forever.

"I love you Makada," he moves me back so he can look at me. "I love you so much."

I wipe my nose with the bag of my hand.

"I love you too" My voice sounding shaken and broken. I've never felt so weak or vulnerable, crying in front of Roman again. But honestly I don't care, I know he would never hurt me.

He grips my thighs and stands up, carrying me like a child away from my bathroom and out of my room. I hide my head in his shoulder as we keep walking, only looking up when a door gently closes. We're back in his room.

He lays me gently on the bed, wrapping the covers around me. He kisses my forehead and walks towards the door.

"Where are you going?" I sit up quickly and look at him with worried eyes.

"It's alright Kada, I'm just going to pick up some dinner for us, I'll be back in two minutes."

I smile and nod, watching him leave and shut the door.