{1⁴} {SOMETHING LIKE MAGIC}

∆ {1⁴} {SOMETHING LIKE MAGIC} ∆

ROXI WAS ONE when her parents had been killed in a train crash on the way home from a date on Christmas Eve, and as a result, she had grown up in an orphanage until she was 7, but then, she got her first foster family. None of the homes kept her long, and she would often three or four different homes a year. When she was 17, she had been brought into a foster home that'd been almost nice at first, but a few months in, everything began to change.

The man who was acting as her guardian had begun to grow more careless with hiding his darker actions, and that in turn had led him to drugs and alcohol. Both their things in their turn, not only affected the man but all the kids who lived there. He had become abusive and in the end, became drunk enough to start taking advantage of the children in his house. Eventually, Roxi couldn't bear it any longer and she'd left in the dead of night when the man had been safely knocked out by his alcohol consumption.

She had lived on the streets for a few months before S.H.I.E.L.D found her. They took her in and cared for her, but Roxi's past experiences had damaged her so much and made her so paranoid that she wouldn't tell them her first name in dear that they would send her back to the man and the foster system. But they did no such thing and raised her as one of their own. Even now, 15 years later, when Roxi was one of the best agents S.H.I.E.L.D had, she never stopped looking over her shoulder, never started trusting.

That was why she approached the God of Mischief on the mountainside with a plain mask of expressionless neutralism, though her eyes were taking in his every movement, every subtle shift in his robes that could signify the man drawing a knife on her. But, she didn't find any and continued to approach him from behind as he observed Tony and Thor fighting before he turned to leave.

"It'd be a little more helpful if you stayed put," Roxi told him, essentially threatening him as she held a loaded gun in her hand, ready to be used if needed.

"Ah yes, I'm sure it would," Loki commented as he turned to face her, acting as if nothing had happened.

"I'm glad you agree," she told him, gesturing with the gun for him to sit down on the edge of the cliff, which he did with no comment, which surprised her slightly. She sat down next to him, the gun still ready to use. For a few minutes, they were bathed in silence as they watched Thor and Tony fight.

"Aren't you going to stop them?" Loki asked, turning to her slightly.

"No, Cap will do that," Roxi responded with absolute surety. The god nodded slightly as if accepting her reason, before deciding to speak again.

"I sense something different inside of you, something like magic," he informed her, and Roxi rolled her eyes just as Cap intervened below.

"Oh here we go," she said, exasperation shining through her voice.

"Yet, you are Midgardian?" Loki inquired confusedly as if he were trying to work out a difficult puzzle.

"Yes, I'm Midgardian," she told him, just as the others finished up below them. 

"Alright, get up, we need to get down there before Natasha forgets about us too," she ordered and he followed her command. Even so, Roxi made him walk in front of her until they arrived on the jet. Cap was telling Tony off in his very polite way, while Thor stormed over to Loki and began reprimanding him in the back of the Quinjet. Roxi walked past them all and rolled her eyes, making her way to the cockpit, where she tapped her back-up on the shoulder.