{2⁹} {LOOK THEM IN THE EYES}

∆ {2⁹} {LOOK THEM IN THE EYES} ∆

WAR WAS A dangerous thing. Everyone knew that, and Roxi knew it better than most people. And yet, here she was, lined up, a spy among soldiers. A wolf in a lion's den. War was hard, for everyone, but some people took it harder than others. Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Howard Stark, and others fought their own wars. Natasha had been fighting her whole life, in one sense or another, for her life, or for someone else's, just as Roxi had. Both of them had grown up in hard environments and had been in S.H.I.E.L.D and going on missions for a long time. Conflict and war weren't exactly new to either of them, but it didn't stop them from being scared of it. But right now, Roxi knew she couldn't afford to be scared. Natasha had split from the rest of them to complete her own part of the mission, as had Fury, leaving Cap, Sam and Hill with Roxi. Steve had stolen his old uniform form the Smithsonian, Sam had his wing pack on, and Hill and Roxi both had their combat suits on. 

It'd taken a while, but finally, they'd managed to sneak into the Triskelion, with a few small speed bumps along the way that Roxi had dealt with quickly. Now, they'd wound up standing outside this metal door, that lead to communication, Sam and Hill having their guns out while Steve and Roxi stood proudly in between them. The door swung open to reveal a tech worker, whose jaw dropped as he took in the four of them.

"Excuse us," Steve said, prompting the main to raise his hands much further than people normally would.  

"Ever the gentleman," Roxi shot at Steve, who just ignored her. She heard Sam chuckle a little behind her, though, as they marched past the terrified man. They walked into the room where announcements were made, the agents who were in there immediately scurrying out. Steve took a deep breath before pressing the button and turning on the mic.

"Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D Agents," he began, his voice heavy, "this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down." His voice echoed across the whole complex, and Roxi began taking slow, deep breaths and calm herself so she could prepare for the inevitable.

"And I think it's time you know the truth," he continued, the window behind them lighting up the room and taking some weight off of the atmosphere, the air thick with anticipation and nerves. Steve paused before he continued, wondering how to word his next sentence.

"S.H.I.E.L.D is not what it was; it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader." The name made Roxi clench her fists until she reminded herself that it would be over soon; they'd be able to slink back into the shadows like they always had, and drag Pierce's name through the dirt while they were at it. 

"The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. We don't know how many more." Roxi didn't agree with the indiscretion of the plan, announcing they were there to their enemies, when anyone could be a traitor, but it was the best plan they had, so she had to stick to it. 

"But I know they're in the building," he continued. it wasn't the best idea, announcing people who wanted to kill them stood among their midst, possibly outnumbering the people on S.H.I.E.L.D's side, but they were trained and were unlikely to panic - at least, not too severely. 

"They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want; absolute control." A dictatorship, Roxi added in her head.

"They shot Nick Fury, and it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them." Roxi exhaled slowly, shutting her eyes for a moment as she allowed Steve's words to wash over her. There would be lives lost. It was inevitable. But they would die fighting for the right cause. They would die saving millions of people around the world. They would be heroes. more than she would ever be.