-16-

"So, this is where you've been hanging out?" Silver said, looking around the agency as they walked down the hallway. 

"Yeah. How did you find us?

"When we figured out that Eggman didn't have you and Shadow, we ran scans across the whole globe. It just didn't make sense that Shadow would up and disappear with you, so I suggested time travel. Accidental, but Tails agreed that it made sense. And me, being the time traveller of the group, offered to go back and find you." He scratched behind his head. "Took a couple tries, but I finally found you." 

"Great job. I was starting to think I'd be stuck here with someone who has no interest in time travel forever.

"Where is Shadow, by the way?" 

"Right here." Shadow stepped out of his dorm, arms crossed. Teleporter glanced down at his wrists, tucking the Emeralds securely under her arm. 

"Why are you not wearing the inhibitor rings?" she snapped. "How do you know that you won't connect to the Emeralds this close? You could blow us all into next year!" 

"Uh, yeah," Silver said. Shadow eyed him. 

"What are you doing here?" he asked. 

"I came to find you," he said. "You...you don't have any Chaos powers?" 

"Not anymore," he said. "It seems time travel for me doesn't turn out how it does for you." 

"Hm," Silver said, stroking his chin. "Maybe it's because you have another form here. Though it's in space, I think the Chaos energy might be directed towards the lifeform that is in the proper time. The only place that that may not happen may be before you were created, but there'd be no need." 

"I have no intentions of time travelling again," Shadow said. He retrieved the inhibitor rings and clamped them around his wrists, making them relax. "This has already been disastrous enough." 

"Well then, let's see if this turns the tide," Teleporter said, handing him an Emerald. He took it and a visible shock ran up his body, making him groan. (Y/n) tensed. 

"Let me help," Silver said. "I've got more experience with this." However, before they could do anything, the alarms started blaring, making everyone start. Shadow didn't seem to notice, his ears flat against his head. 

"Someone's infiltrated the agency!" a new agent shouted, running down the hallway. 

"Hold these," Teleporter said, shoving the Emeralds into (Y/n)'s hands. "Get into Shadow's dorm and don't move until we give the all clear. They're undoubtedly after the Emeralds." The (a/t) obeyed, beckoning to Shadow. Silver pushed him inside. 

"Let me help," he told the two agents. "I can handle these guys." 

"Stay here and guard them," Teleporter ordered. "If they get past me and Detonator, you'll be the best chance they have." Silver nodded, taking up a defensive position by the door. 

"Are you okay?" (Y/n) asked Shadow. His hand gripped the Emerald tightly, eyes squeezed shut. "Shadow? Shadow, drop it. You're hurting yourself.

"I can't connect to it," he hissed. "The energy is not...." (Y/n) wrapped her hand firmly around the Emerald and ripped it from his grasp. She stumbled back and the dark hedgehog collapsed on the ground, groaning. 

Outside, Silver stood firmly in front of the door, hands ready to strike if anyone made it past. He looked down the hallway when a bright flash appeared and an explosion sounded. Detonator. The panther tore down the hallway a moment later, all business. He didn't even glance at Silver. The ivory hedgehog angled his head to the door instead, listening to the one-sided conversation since (Y/n) was tuned to Shadow and not him. 

"We're lucky Silver's here," Shadow grunted. "I can't get us back so long as the energy is directed at my younger part." A pause as (Y/n) said something. "No, I-" Silver's ears twisted behind him and he turned his head just in time to lift his hands and stop a bullet from piercing his skull. 

"Sweet Chaos," he breathed, glancing past the bullet to where his attacker was. Detonator was on the ground, unconscious, and Teleporter was nowhere to be seen. 

"The Emeralds," the hostile Mobian said, nudging his gun in the direction of the door. 

"You'll have to make it past me," Silver growled, turning the bullet around and sending it rocketing back. The Mobian dodged to the side and the bullet buried itself in the wall. Silver wrapped his mind around one of the fluorescent lights and brought it crashing down. The Mobian grunted and collapsed beneath the weight of it while Silver ran over to Detonator, picking him up and dragging him back over to the room. He put the agent inside and called for Teleporter. 

"One last chance." Silver whirled around, raising an assortment of objects to throw at his assailant. 

"I'll take my chances my way," he replied as the Mobian retrieved his gun and pushed himself up.

"Very well," he said. He nodded at Silver. "Take him out."

"Take me-" Silver gasped in pain as it shot through his torso. The Mobian limped over to him and Silver gripped his middle.

"The Emeralds are too valuable for a child to be in possession of," the Mobian said. "If you surrender, I won't hurt you more than I already have."

"No," Silver said, wiping a trickle of blood from the corner of his mouth. "You selfish, ignorant, greedy person!" He knocked the Mobian aside, but the person holding the blade in his gut withdrew it and jabbed it back in his shoulder blade. The ivory hedgehog cried out, going limp on the blade.

Then the door suddenly slammed open and (Y/n) opened her mouth. The scream took out the lights and every unprotected Mobian cried out, covering their ears.

"Take her out!" The order could faintly be heard over the noise, but just barely. Silver lifted his head, trying to see, but he couldn't. Then the scream abruptly stopped.

"The Emeralds," a raspy voice suddenly said. A flashlight flicked on and Teleporter stumbled into view. "They took them."

"I'm sorry," (Y/n) said, shaking her head. "I couldn't see or I would have stopped them."

"We all failed," Teleporter said wearily. "None of us are ready to go after them, and we have no idea where they're going." The cheetah leaned against the wall. "For now, we need to recuperate, and then we'll track them again." She surveyed the beat up group. "Yes?"

They all nodded. Silver dropped to one knee. Teleporter supported him as best she could. "Just rest for now, okay?" she murmured. "We'll handle it from here." Silver nodded, breathing out a heavy sigh before everything went dark.