-18-

"Headquarters is a piece of crap," Detonator huffed. He leaned against the wall and studied his gun, taking the magazine out. Teleporter looked like she was about to fall asleep, eyes lidded.

"They won't let you run missions?" Shadow asked skeptically, standing beside (Y/n). It had been at least a week since they'd lost the Emeralds and the time travelers had simply resigned to getting comfortable.

Detonator shook his head, pushing the magazine back in his gun and holstering it. "There are standards, and they don't want to send us," he said. "We've been sidelined for now."

"Great," (Y/n) chimed in. Teleporter heaved a sigh.

"Yeah," she said. "Headquarters is a piece of crap." The lapsed into silence and (Y/n) stroked her chin thoughtfully.

"Well," she said, "do you have movies or music?"

"I love myself some country," Detonator instantly replied. "But we don't really watch movies here at the agency."

"Hmm. Well, back on my planet, I know, kind of childish, but I really loved movies, a lot of them animated. There was one called How to Train Your Dragon and it was...pretty good."

"What's How to Train Your Dragon?" Teleporter asked curiously.

"Allow me to demonstrate." She turned to Shadow. "Close your eyes." He raised an eyebrow skeptically but did as he was told, arms still crossed. Then the (a/t) placed her hand on his forehead. "Okay, trained."

"That looks more like How to Train Your Hedgehog," Detonator said. Shadow opened his eyes, his upper lip twitching.

"Allow me to demonstrate," he said with feigned calm. "How to Train Your (A/t)." He slapped (Y/n)'s hand away and shoved her against the wall, pressing his own hand to her forehead.

"Great. This is what I call How to Train Your Hedgehog 2." She let out a short scream, though loud and powerful enough to send Shadow stumbling back.

"How to Train Your (A/t) 2!" Detonator and Teleporter swiveled their heads back and forth as the pair went from one to the other.

"How to Train Your Hedgehog, the Hidden World." (Y/n) grabbed Shadow's arms and spun him around before angling her head and sending him flying into the ceiling with another scream. She turned to the two agents. "Bonus, Homecoming." She pointed up at the ceiling just as Shadow crashed to the floor face first.

"What's going on?" They all looked over as Silver stumbled down the hallway.

"Silver!" Teleporter exclaimed. "What are you doing out here?"

"I heard crashing."

"They're demonstrating something from (Y/n)'s planet!" Detonator said excitedly, scampering over to him. "Let me show you!" He placed his hand on Silver's forehead. The white hedgehog went cross-eyed, stumbling back. "It's called How to Train Your Hedgehog!"

"Dragon," (Y/n) corrected.

"Pretty sure it's Hedgehog now, mate." Shadow stood up and brushed himself off. "Anyway. That was fun! Why do you two even put up with each other?"

"Good question." (Y/n) glanced at Shadow, who was glowering at the floor.

"I'm dizzy," Silver declared loudly. He then let out a giggle and swayed.

"I don't think we have drugs in here," Teleporter said. Detonator let out a nervous laugh. "Seriously, D, you need to lay off the laughing gas."

"Okay, but I seriously thought he needed it!"

"He was unconscious."

"Who was to say he wouldn't wake up?"

"Stop. Just stop with everything. Leave it to the professionals." Detonator sighed and nodded. He still put an arm under Silver's and led him back to the medical room.

"Alright, since we've been sidelined," Teleporter said, rubbing her hands together. "We may as well do something productive, especially while we wait for Silver to recuperate. The authorities promised that we could do something for the Chaos Emeralds mission, but for now, we've had to hand it over to other agents." 

"I've always wanted to sightsee in the 1900s," (Y/n) said. 

"We've got some time to kill," Teleporter said. "And agents aren't always on the job." She looked at Shadow. "You...I guess do what you want. I couldn't stop you." Shadow narrowed his eyes, his fingers squeezing his arms softly. 

"Keep her safe," he finally said. 

"Don't worry," Teleporter said, patting her gun. "I'm always prepared." 

"Leaving?" Detonator called as he scampered down the hallway. "Silver's in bed again, by the way. No laughing gas included." 

"Thank goodness," Teleporter said, mock wiping her brow. 

"Anyway. Where're you goin'?" 

"Around," the cheetah said. "How about you give Shadow some...." She glanced at the dark hedgehog, who stared her down. "Tips." 

"Is that a new code word?" the panther said. "Because I don't know it." Teleporter rolled her eyes. 

"Let's go," she said, pointing down the hallway. The two females set off and Shadow was left with Detonator. 

"Tips?" he asked gruffly. 

"I'm guessing she's talking about your attitude?" Shadow glared at the agent. "Believe me, Teleporter's not really the one who should be telling you about your attitude. She was one prickly cheetah when we first met. All about the job." He sighed. "She was actually a lot like you. Closed off." 

Shadow tilted his head. "You're not the Ultimate Lifeform you used to be," Detonator continued. "I mean, we don't know if you're still immortal, even. We don't really want to test that theory, but have you ever considered it?" 

"Yes," Shadow replied quietly. "I...feel mortal. I feel like...like you all." 

"Rub it in," Detonator said. "I don't know what Teleporter wanted me to say to you. Maybe that you're kind of...kind of self-centered?" He threw his hands up as Shadow glared at him again. "You're still in the Ultimate Lifeform mindset! If you've considered it, maybe you should start acting like it! You know what they say. Overconfidence usually leads to mistakes." The panther flicked his tail. 

"I know that," Shadow said, looking away. "I was made to be perfect, but I've made...more mistakes than I should have." He dropped his hands to his sides, making them into fists. "I just don't want to be as big a failure as I have been in the past." 

"Trust me, mate, we've all been there," Detonator said. "I was about as bad as they came when I first started. I didn't know what to do, but with someone like Teleporter to guide me, I soon found my way. Maybe this Sonic fellow you talk about will help you. Or maybe...or maybe even (Y/n) can give you a few pointers. Other than the screaming, she seems to know her way around." 

Shadow didn't reply. He'd never needed anyone before. Or had he? This time was messing with him. The sooner they got back to their own time, the better. 

But then, he would go back to being the Ultimate Lifeform. Back to being self-centered and self-righteous. Perhaps he could learn something from Teleporter, Detonator, and (Y/n). 

"Alright," he finally said, looking over at Detonator. The panther watched him carefully, tail still flicking nervously behind him. "I'll think about it," the dark hedgehog added awkwardly after a moment. Detonator sighed, mostly to himself and walked past Shadow. 

"Why do I even try?" he muttered. Lifting his voice, he called over his shoulder. "I'll be happy to see some progress!" Shadow stiffened, then decided to let it go. The agent was right. 

He had a ways to go. 

A/n: Okay, I watched the cutscenes and video game stuff for Shadow the Hedgehog and seriously, that dude is seriously conflicting. And in stuff like the metal virus comics, he is definitely self-righteous, and is the first one we see go. Way to go, Shadow. Sometimes I just think he needs to learn a lesson. I mean, unless turning into a Zombot wasn't enough, but that hasn't happened yet, so....