-21-

"So, how far are you in the future?" Teleporter asked as they were driven to their destination. 

"Two hundred and thirty years for you guys. I was told that everything that happened that would change the future happened thirty years after this, so just two hundred for (Y/n) and Shadow," Silver replied. 

"So, you're two hundred thirty years old." 

"I guess." 

"How old is Shadow?" 

"I don't know. He...he was kind of created in a lab, so he doesn't have a definite age, I guess. I'm not sure." He shrugged. "At least fifty." 

"He looks pretty good for a fifty year old." Silver almost snorted. "What?" 

"He's immortal," he said. "He doesn't age." 

"Oh. That's unfortunate." 

"Why?" 

"You'd have to see everyone you love die." She looked out the window as the vehicle slowed and they got out. "I don't know if I could live with that." 

"I mean, I suppose he could die if someone purposely killed him, but not by natural causes," the white hedgehog said uncertainly. "I'm not sure how it works. But I'm pretty sure he thinks the same thing you do." 

"That being immortal would be miserable? Yeah, he seems pretty miserable." 

"Emo, as Sonic calls him." Teleporter shook her head and pulled her mask over her face. 

"You new to the job?" she whispered as they scaled the wall and onto the roof. She glanced back at Silver, who shook his head. "Cool. Use your powers as a last resort. They're kind of conspicuous." 

He simply nodded and followed her as she pried the vent off and jumped inside, teleporting to the bottom while Silver floated down before letting his blue aura fade and followed after the cheetah. They crawled quietly through the vent in silence until Teleporter reached the turn and went down that lane, stopping at the end and kicking the cover off. 

There was the security room, guarded heavily. "Great. Word already got here that Shadow and (Y/n) got the first Emerald," Teleporter growled. They'd received word a few minutes before they'd arrived at their destination that the first mission had been successful. A third mission squad had already been deployed for a third Chaos Emerald and a fourth was being put together. The Emeralds were popping up quickly, so the agency was collecting them quickly. 

However, several of the Emeralds had been shipped across the world, or, were shipped or being shipped. The agency was planning on intercepting a few of those Emeralds. 

"I'll distract the security guards while you get into the room," Silver said. By 'room', he meant that Teleporter would break into the place where they security footage was kept, get a good look at the room the Emerald was being kept in, and simply teleport inside, grab it, and get out of there. Simple enough. 

So that's what they did. Silently, Silver slid out of the vent and clumped the guards together, tossing them down the hallway and bringing the ceiling down on them. Teleporter disappeared then reappeared inside the security room, taking a good look at all the footage. 

Once that had been done, she teleported into the room, snatched the Emerald before she hit the floor and was back in the vent in a matter of seconds. 

But so was a pair of security guards. She tucked the Emerald away and teleported to a different location, but guards were waiting there as well. "It's a trap!" she shouted into the comm. Silver didn't reply. "Silver? Silver!" 

"He's here," a sultry voice said. Teleporter whirled around, eyes widening at the sight of Silver. His gloves were off, replaced with a sort of silver gauntlet. Blood ran down his hands and she guessed whatever it was had spikes on the underside that were digging into his wrists. 

"Let him go," she said, slowly lifting her hands. 

"Drop the Emerald," the Mobian holding Silver said. He slowly opened his eyes and looked up at the cheetah, shaking his head. The Mobian kicked him from behind and he grunted, sagging forward. 

Teleporter frowned. They needed the Emerald, but she could only teleport so far. Unless she could teleport farther. No time to experiment. She pulled out the Emerald and prayed it would give her at least a small boost, then opened her eyes and disappeared. She reappeared inside headquarters, gasping. 

"Teleporter?" Detonator said, peering around his monitor. "How'd you get here?" 

"Take this!" she shouted, tossing him the Emerald and disappearing again. She had to do short distances all the way back to the building but the instant she reappeared there, someone had cuffs around her hands. She snarled and kicked back against her captor, sending them stumbling back. She disappeared again, reappearing above Silver's head and wrapping her hands around his captor and jerking him back. 

"What are those things?" she asked, pulling the chain of her cuffs tight around the Mobian's neck. He grunted, making a hand signal. All the guards in the area pointed their guns at the hostile pair. She shifted so he was fully in front of her, slowly moving around Silver so he was behind them, too. 

"A special sort of inhibitor ring," the Mobian wheezed. "They keep his powers from manifesting at all while the spikes keep him from trying." 

"Take them off." 

"I don't have the keys." 

"Where is it? Describe the room for me." 

"The computer room. Lots of computers around it in rows and along the edges of the room. There's a desk at the front near a big projector. They keys are in a box in there." He made another hand signal and the guards lowered their guns. Teleporter touched Silver and teleported to the described location, almost instantly teleporting inside and spotting the box at the front. 

However, apparently the second hand signal had meant something else and Teleporter felt something bury into her neck. She grunted, pressing her head to her shoulder but the dart's poison had already taken effect. The Mobian she had slipped out from under her and allowed her to fall to her knees. Silver said something but it was lost to the cheetah as her vision faded and everything went black.