-29-

"Shadow, you can't!" Amy shouted, holding the dark hedgehog against the wall with Tails and Espio helping. Sonic was on the roof and there were two things they predicted Shadow would do: attack the blue hero for not being able to protect (Y/n) or go after her.

"I don't care!" he shouted. "Let me go!" He kicked Espio sharply in the gut and the chameleon staggered back. The dark hedgehog pulled his arm away from Tails and shoved Amy off him. 

"Shadow, please, don't! We've already lost too many people right now, and the shuttle's already heading towards Angel Island! (Y/n) was already infected - there was nothing he could do!"

"I am the Ultimate Lifeform," Shadow hissed, though the words came out uncertainly. After all he'd done in the past, after all he'd learned from (Y/n) about not being arrogant, was he just going to go straight back to his old ways? He sighed, turning back to Amy. "I at least want to see her."

"How would you possibly find her?" Espio asked, rubbing his torso. "She's infected, and who knows how long it will take her to fully turn. Shadow, it's too dangerous."

"I want to know," Shadow said, turning back to the exit of the shuttle. And before anyone else could protest, he teleported out of the shuttle and back into Spiral Hill Village. 

Zombots were meandering all over the village, most migrating out of the village. Shadow didn't spot Tangle or (Y/n), which worried him. If both were infected, both could be zombots by now and he wouldn't find them until this pandemic was over.

"What a disaster," he said, shaking his head and teleporting onto a roof as several zombots attempted to grab him. He ran along the rooftops, looking down below to see if he could see the (a/t) anywhere. 

Then he spotted someone surrounded by zombots and instantly knew it was her. He spotted one that was familiar and noticed with a pang that it was Tangle. He leaped down onto the ground, closing his eyes. "Chaos Blast!" The zombots scattered, skidding across the ground. Shadow ran over to her, pointing. She looked at him, one eye covered in the virus. Then she obeyed and ran to the side with Shadow. He grabbed her arm in the moment, teleporting her onto the roof.

"Shadow, what on Earth are you doing down here?!" she asked the second they were out of reach of the zombots. Her eyes widened and she ripped her arm out of his grip. "Shadow!"

He opened his mouth then felt a cold feeling climbing up his arm, looking down at it with wide eyes. The Metal Virus crawled up his arm, encasing the inhibitor ring. "Why didn't you listen to Sonic?"

"I wanted to see you," the dark hedgehog said. "I-I'm sorry, (Y/n), I...." He trailed off, putting a hand to his face. "I...."

The (a/t) looked down to the ground, the virus continuing to fully infect her arms and legs. "I'm sorry too," she finally said, looking up at him. The AI buzzed for a moment, then died in his ear and he looked up at her, expecting a sign. Instead, she opened her mouth, coughing a couple times before hugging herself, passing her tongue over her lips.

"I'm sorry." Shadow's eyes widened at the sound of her voice, and though it was raspy from misuse, it was still hers. He took several steps forward, putting his hands on her arms. "I f-failed you. I told you I would... be careful, and I got infected...."

"I'm sorry I wasn't there," he said, his voice trembling. He squeezed his eyes shut. "I let you down." He felt soft brushes against his face as she shakily lifted her hands to his cheeks.

"I love you," she said, tilting her head. He could tell by the tremble in her voice she would have been crying if the virus hadn't been covering most of her face. Shadow wanted to feel angry. He was furious, but all he could manage to do to her was wrap his arms tightly around her, his own body shaking.

"I can't lose you," he whispered. "How can I go on without you? How can I...?" He felt her arms fall against his back and he pulled away, clenching his jaw as she lifted her head, her eyes turning red while her body took on a (f/c) hue. She walked slowly towards him and he stumbled backwards.

You have to run. It worked for Sonic. He had to run to wear off the virus. He had to find the doctor. He had to fix this whole thing. He couldn't lose (Y/n).

He turned and jumped off the roof though his legs gave in as the virus climbed over them. He forced himself up, but one of the congregating zombots snatched his arm in an iron grip. Shadow grunted and kicked the zombot away, turning to run, but the rest of the horde limped towards him, closing the exits.

"Chaos-" The zombots grabbed his arms, piling on top of each other, trying to get to the beating heart. Shadow gasped as the virus crawled faster over his limbs, over his lips. He tried to get his limbs away from them but it was futile and his strength was fading. "Chaos...."