Chapter 27

Later, back at the fox den, everyone was enjoying good food and drinking zhe yan's peach wine. Mo yuan's disciples had left for kunlun mountain earlier but everyone else had decided to stay. They were just too curious to leave. There was a silent anticipation at the table as everyone waited for someone to broach the topic.

After everyone was done with their dinner, feng jiu couldn't take the anticipatory silence anymore, she could read the questions on each one's face and felt her curiosity rise, too. So, she called donghua out on it.

"donghua, look at their faces, everyone is waiting for you to explain the events that happened today. Have a little mercy please." She smiled sweetly up at him as she said that, imploring him with her eyes.

Donghua looked down at her with softness in his eyes and said to her, "I was waiting to see how long you could hold out, my little fox."

Turning towards the table and began, "all of you might not know that during the prehistoric times before I had unified the realms, I removed my name from the rock of three lives to ensure peace for the realms. The rock of three lives governs the fate of immortal couples, it is the keeper of love fate. By removing my name from the rock I had made a life free of love and marriage for myself. This meant I could never love someone and if I did the consequences of it would be disastrous or so I thought."

"then, millenias later, I met this little fox and fell in love at first sight," Donghua said, looking down at feng jiu beside him and pulled on a strand of her hair, teasingly.

"I knew the repercussions of that and wanted to protect her from them. But xaio bai has always been stubborn and wilful. Once she decided, she loved me, she made sure to use every little weapon in her arsenal to be around me." As he said that he felt, xaio bai hiding her face behind his arms. Chucking at her sudden shy nature, he continued, "So, I had no choice but to push her away. That was the only way I knew to protect her from me and herself." He looked piercingly at bai yi while he said this.

"I also had to consider the protection of the realms because every time I was with her, I would lose my powers faster than I could cultivate. After the qing cang debacle, I had no choice but to go into seclusion and recover my cultivation. But with the absence of ye hua, it got delayed again and again. The day he came back, I could no longer postpone it. For the next 600 years, deep into seclusion I still couldn't recover more than 50 percent of my cultivation. So, I came back. After that, you all know what happened the next time we met."

Donghua then proceeded to explain what the heavens had told him about their fate together when he had left to find answers to save xaio bai. While he was explaining this, lian sing interrupted, "what did the heavens mean by, 'she must let go of her bonds, embrace what she is and be one with what she was meant for'?"

At this, donghua looked towards his brothers, seeing the understanding flash on their face, he nodded for them to proceed. It was bai zhi who spoke first. " 'letting go of the bonds' means giving up the ties to her family, to her blood. Xaio jiu was not meant to be born this late with all our bloods in her veins. It diluted the power of her primordial spirit and to access those innate powers of her she needed to be free of all the blood ties."

Zhe yan continued explaining further, " 'embrace what she is' means to find her true self as the source of all living. She needed to connect with her primordial spirit, her true essence."

Mo yuan ended it by saying, " 'be one with what she was meant for' is her bond with dong hua. They were quite literally made for each other. Only by reforming the bond that was once broken could the chains be removed. Their whole beings are tied together, so it was eminent to re-forge the bond between their spirits, too."