Chapter 53

It was then cheng yu realized the error of her words. She had disclosed too much by mistake and he had caught on to it. Since, there was no way to cover up her mistake, she decided to move forward with it. Looking defiantly up at him, she sneered, "so, what? Did you think if you won't tell me, no one would? Did you take me as an idiot who can't figure out your dirty little secret?"

Lian song shook his head as he answered, "no, no, and no. That is not what I meant at all. you know about the promise. Nobody was aware of that promise except me and chen mo. That means you remember. You have remembered everything. You know about the previous life of your spirit. Why didn't you tell me that, cheng yu? I have been waiting so long for you, to regain your memories." There was a hope in his voice that stung cheng yu hard.

"Why should I tell you, lian song? you left me with absolutely no word, no letter, nothing. I waited and waited for you in vain. If you had come once, even if it was to break off everything between us, it would have been a lot less painful way to die. The day before you left, you told me you will talk to your father about our marriage and come back soon. But how was I to know that that would be the last time I'll ever get to see you. for a century I waited for you, sick and desolate, yearning for you to come back. It's funny how they say immortals cannot get sick yet heartsickness is something no one warns about. My heart was broken and bleeding, waiting for you to come back and put it back together. I died not of a physical ailment, lian song. I died of a broken heart. One, that was caused by you and only you. so, tell me again, why would I need to inform you about my memories coming back?"

Lian song lived through the entire pain and grief of that time, all over again. every word and every unshed tear in her eyes pierced his heart like a double-edged sword. But he held tight on his control. He had so much to say that had been accumulating for over a millennia now. if he failed to say it today, he knew he would never get another chance. So, he gathered every last bit of his courage to pour out his heart.

"I know I let you down. I know that I was the reason for your pain and I know I am guilty. But not for the crimes you are accusing me off. Listen to me please, cheng yu. I never abandoned you, not for a second. I meant every word of the promise I made to you. I loved you and still love you with my whole heart. My only mistake was placing my trust in my father."

He continued to explain in a sad, solemn voice, "after I came back to the celestial palace that night, I went straight to my father's chambers. I told him all about us. Because of my naivety, I put it all in front of him, from how much I loved you to how I wanted to marry you. I thought he would be happy for me but I didn't know my father as well, back then as I do now. He straight out refused to entertain even the thought of marriage with such a wide gap in the ranks. In his words, the celestials stood to gain nothing from that alliance. He ordered me to go sleep on it. undeterred I also retorted for him to sleep on it, too. I was never going to change my decision. So, all that was left for me to do was force my father to see things my way. The next day, I again went looking for him in his study, in hopes of getting him to reconsider. And to my utter surprise, he had already changed his mind about it. Though, nothing my father ever did has been without a personal gain to him. he put a condition on his approval. The condition was that I had to go settle the unrest in the demon realm without letting anyone know about it. he ensured me that he, himself would go talk to your father about our marriage but the actual wedding would rest upon the success of my mission. As soon as I succeeded, we could get married, that was the condition he put on his youngest son's love and life. the change from no to yes was a huge enough deal for me back then, so I couldn't bring myself to protest against this and accepted his offer. The same day I set off for the demon realm undercover and as a spy, working for my father."

Taking a deep breath, he went on. "That whole century I was there in the demon realms, trying to solve everything as fast as I could without blowing my cover. But no matter, what the place was or how much danger I was in, I always wrote you letters. I had placed all my trust in my father's hand, without thinking much about the type of man he was and that is my biggest regret in life. I thought that you must be preparing for our wedding after my father's visit and with the continuous letters I wrote to you, it never entered my mind the situation could be something else. It never occurred to me that my father would not only go back on his word but he would also intercept my letters to you. from what I have understood, he wanted to make you give up on me, so by the time I got back, you would be over me and married to someone else, probably. That is how he planned on screwing up with his son's life. with everything else that was happening in the demon realm at that time, I had no idea about your situation and the reality of what was happening. It had already been a year after you died when I heard about it."