twelve // rain

Chat Noir's POV

Alya and I both stare at each other, waiting for the other to make a move. Clouds have come out to block the sun. Thunder rolls in the distance. Winds flows by us and brushes leaves off the ground. Alya tries to speak, but nothing comes out.

I take a step toward her and reach my arm out. "No, Alya, I-"

"Marinette. It was Marinette the whole time," she whispers to herself,

She shakes her head with her eyes wide open. She takes a deep, shakey breath and holds her hands close to her chest. She collapses on the ground out of shock. I run towards her and fall to my knees, frantically trying to fix the mess I made.

I de-transform, hoping that helps releases some of the stress she's experiencing. Plagg flies out of my ring and rests on my shoulder. I gently hold Alya's shoulders, making sure she looks at me in the eyes.

"No, Marinette is not Ladybug!"

She looks at me with a blank, glossy look in her eyes. She didn't even register what I said.

"My best friend is Ladybug and my classmate is Chat Noir," She mumbles to herself in a monotone voice.

I look at her with my eyes wide as saucers. "Alya! Marinette is not Ladybug!"

"It all makes sense now. Her mysterious disappearances, her constant abstinences, her body being bruised up all the time..." she whispers with a blank face. "And then you... how ironic."

I look at her with frantic eyes. "W-What do you mean?"

"She had a huge crush on you, I'm sure you know that, yet you only thought of her as a friend. But everyone knows Ladybug didn't like Chat Noir, but Chat Noir sure liked Ladybug. It's just some huge love square, even though it's only two people."

I give up, and pull away from Alya. We sit there on the tower for at least ten minutes. Dark clouds cover the sky and you could tell that it was about to rain any second now. The birds flew to their trees, and the busy Paris traffic slowly disappeared, one by one. The warm smell of fresh baked bread slowly faded away as bakers moved their businesses inside.

"I... I wanna go check up on Marinette..." Alya mutters, pushing off her knees and standing up. "Thank you for everything, Adrien."

I stand up too. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

She looks at me with the same blank face she looked at me with earlier. "I don't know anything anymore, Agreste. Just give me some time to separate my thoughts."

"I understand. Be careful though, she isn't going to like that you know her identity."

Alya nods, and starts making her way down the Eiffel Tower.

"Oh, one more thing!" I shout. "Please don't tell her I told you. She would paw-sitivly kill me."

She looks at me with big eyes. "Oh my god, I forgot. You're Chat Noir."

I groan. "Now's when you fall out of denial? Seriously?!"

She gently smiles, still in shock about everything today, but more accepting of it.

"I promise, Adrien. See you tomorrow at school."

I return the smile and brush back my blond hair, watching Alya head down the tower's steps, heading to Marinette's place.

"See you."