thirteen // the prince who broke the princess

Marinette's POV

"W-Wait, huh?" I stutter, feeling my stomach drop.

Chat Noir glares at me with anger in his eyes.

I gently climb down from my bunk bed and look at him, eye to eye. "Chat, I'm confused. I don't know what you mean."

"Is that what you thought of me?! Just some alley cat?" He yells with pain in his voice.

"Don't do this here, Chat Noir..." I brace.

He stands in a tight stance looking at me with fear in his eyes. He heard everything I told Alya, and it hurt him. Badly. I shouldn't have said anything. He's my partner. Partners shouldn't talk about each other like that.

"I should have expected that answer from you," He scoffs. "I'm just emotional baggage after all, right?"

"N-No!" I nervously shout.

"Marinette, honey? Is everything okay up there?" I hear Mama call from below the floors.

I look at Alya with a panic look. Alya nods, and slides down my bed onto the wooden floor.

"I'll distract her. You two... go sort this out," Alya mumbles like shes walking on thin ice.

I turn back to Chat Noir as Alya heads down stairs to keep my parents occupied. I get a good look at him and my heart pounds in my chest from regret. His ears are pressed flat against his head and pointed back, showing that he's angry but hurt. His hair is sopping wet from the pouring rain outside. His eyes are swirling with emotions.

I reach my hand out to brush his cheek. "Chat, I-"

Chat Noir slaps my hand away from him and I gasp.

His green eyes pierce into my skull with fury. "I heard everything you said, Marinette."

I look at him and feel my eyes open wide with fear. I try and say something, but his face of pain quickly stops me.

He continues. "I heard you tell Alya that I was just some pesky alley cat. That I had no emotions. That I would 'come around eventually', acting as if I was the one in the wrong, acting as if I was just your toy."

I grab his hand as he starts to walk away. "No, Chat, I didn't mean it like that!"

He snaps his hand out of my grasp and whips around to face me.

"What did you mean then, huh?!"

Lightning strikes right by my window outside and sends the house shaking. A bright light flashes in my bedroom for a millisecond. I gasp and fall into Chat's arms as I lose balance. He instinctively grabs me and pulls me close to him, pressing my head against his chest. I quietly gasp and open my eyes from the shock. We stay there for a second, until he shoves me off his body like he didn't just pull me close to him in the first place.

"You know I didn't mean any of that!" I whisper, longing for his warmth and comfort for just one second longer.

He takes a step towards me with anger flowing through his veins.

"How could you be so sure?"

"Because I know you!"

"That's the thing, Marinette!" He yells with his voice cracking. "You don't! You have no idea who I am, do you?!"

I freeze and hold my hands to my chest. My shoulders rise up and I back away slowly. Chat sneers at me and looks down on me, glaring. I fall onto the ground and try and hold myself. Tears slip down my cheeks.