Chapter 21

Rishab and Khushi are even closer now after returning from Alibaug. They talk hours over phone. Few days later, Rishab enters office and finds Khushi's chair empty. He goes into his cabin and starts making some calls. He looks out of the glass to find Khushi coming towards her desk. She seems upset about something. He can feel something is not right. He texts her asking her if she is alright. But he does not get any reply. He leaves for some meetings and returns late to find her gone. He returns home late and then gives her a call. The phone keeps on ringing but Khushi does not pick up. Rishab doesn't understand what is the problem with her. Next day Rishab wakes up with a severe headache. He does not feel good but gets ready to go to the office. Before leaving he gives a call to Khushi. She picks up to tell him that her phone was silent and so she had not seen his text or received his call. Rishab says,"Is everything alright? You didn't seem normal yesterday." Khushi says,"Nothing to worry. I am alright. Dadi had called in the morning and asked to visit her. Is everything okay?" Rishab replies,"Yes everything is okay. Dadi and dad are leaving for Varanasi tomorrow. Every year Dadi goes there for a week during Dadaji's birthday. She wanted to meet you before she leaves. You meet me at the bus stop outside the office by 1pm. I'll pick you up and take you to Dadi's place."

Rishab picks up Khushi and on the way he still tries to know if everything is good. But before she could answer, she gets a call from her father. Khushi is welcomed by Dadi and Rishab's father at their house. They sit on the dining table and talk with Khushi while food arrives. After lunch, Rishab's father gives another book to Khushi. She hugs him and Dadi and goes out. Rishab also moves towards the door after saying his byes when his father stops him. He asks to Rishab,"Have you read the book 'The Color Purple?" Rishab replies,"By Alice Walker, Yes." His father asks,"Do you read American Classics?Edgar Allan Poe, John Steinbeck, Mark Twain?" Rishab nods his head. His father looks surprised and says,"I didn't know that. I thought I will give you that book to read." Rishab looks at him and replies,"You don't know anything about me dad. You never had the time for that...Have a safe journey. Bye." He leaves leaving his father thinking about what he had just said.

On the way back to the office, Rishab again asks Khushi if there is something she is worried about. Khushi after thinking for some time says," Well actually my roommate Tina's boyfriend,Pranav is now living with her at the apartment. He is looking for an apartment but till that time he will stay with her...Thing is I don't like the way he looks at me. I might be imagining things I am not sure. But I don't feel comfortable staying there. " Rishab gets worried instantly and says,"You don't have to stay there anymore. I can't let you stay there anymore. You leave today." Khushi looks at him and says,"And where will I go? Don't worry. He will leave soon." Rishab is not going to take no for an answer now. He says,"I will find a place for you..Till that time you can stay at Khurana house. Or you can stay with Arti." Khushi smiles and says,"Dadi and uncle will leave tomorrow and if I go, they will postpone their journey. Arti di is at her mother's place as her mother is not well. Remember? You don't worry.(finding Rishab still worried she says) Okay you look for a place for me to stay and till that time I'll stay away from that guy." Rishab is still not convinced but he says,"You promise to stay safe and call me if you need me." Khushi smiles and says,"Promise."

Rishab goes home and calls Khushi to ensure she is safe. Khushi says she will talk to Tina once they come home. Rishab hangs up the home and gets into the bed. He is not feeling well. He is worried for Khushi. He has made some calls for apartment for Khushi and they have assured him that they will find something soon. With the thoughts he goes off to sleep. Next day he wakes up in even bad condition. His headache has worsen. He had meetings lined up and he has be at factory too.He won't be able to see Khushi that day. He takes a medicine for headache and leaves for his meeting.

It's raining heavily when Rishab leaves the garments factory with Sachin. Sachin says,"You don't look good bhai..I have to leave for Pune now otherwise I would have stayed with you. Can you drive?"Rishab says,"I am fine don't worry. It's just a headache. I can drive. I will drop you at the airport and go straight home. I have two days off to rest. I will be okay by then. You need to go.Aunty is not well, you should be there." He drops Sachin at the airport and returns home. He unlocks the door, puts his bag and jacket. Just then his phone rings. It's Khushi. He picks up the phone and from other side Khushi says in a panicking voice,"Hello Rishab, PLEASE..Come quickly..please..hurry." Rishab says,"Are you okay? I am coming right now. Don't worry." He rushes out of the apartment to his car and drives away to Khushi's place. Parking the car on the road under the apartment, Rishab hurries inside not caring that he is getting drenched in rain. He takes the stairs not waiting for the lift and reaches the apartment on the 4th floor. He rings the bell like a maniac until a guy opens the door. He pushes him aside and gets inside calling Khushi's name. The door inside opens and Khushi comes out running into his arm and starts crying. He says,"Are you okay? You are hurt, did he do anything? Tell me..please." Khushi still hugging Rishab says, "Tina is still at her office, I was watching television when Pranav came home and started talking to me that he likes me..When I stopped him and was leaving, he pulled me and tried to kiss me. I somehow managed to run into the room and lock myself and called you." Rishab had lost his temper by then. He removes Khushi from his embrace and like a mad man he goes for the collar of the guy, Pranav. He shouts,"How dare you touch My Khushi? How dare you? I will kill you bastard..How dare you?" He starts hitting the guy. Khushi tries to stop him but he is uncontrollable in his rage. People from neighbouring flats come down hearing the noise. They try to intervene but Rishab is not going to leave him so easily. Khushi somehow manages to come between them and stop Rishab. In the meantime Tina also arrives. Rishab starts shouting at her for bringing a freak into the apartment. Khushi tells her everything but Tina does not listens. She rushes towards her boyfriend to ensure if he is okay. Neighbours call security and ask Rishab to leave. Rishab says,"I have no interest to stay here. Khushi pack your bags now and come downstairs. I am waiting." He comes out and gives a call to the Police Commissioner, who is his father's friend and tells him everything. He ensures he will look into that.

Rishab in his anger doesn't care that he is standing in the rain. Khushi runs towards him and says,"Rishab. You are getting wet." Rishab turns to see Khushi with a suitcase. He takes it from her hand and puts it inside the car. He gets inside along with Khushi. As Rishab starts the car, Khushi asks,"Where are we going?" Rishab says,"Do you trust me?" Khushi replies,"More than myself." They reach Rishab's place and he gets down. He takes out Khushi's suitcase, holds her hand and takes her into his apartment. Rishab says,"This is my place. You will stay here till I find some other place for you.." Khushi hugs Rishab tightly and says,"Thanks for being there for me." Rishab takes her face into his hands and says,"I will always be there to protect you. You go and change..I 'll make something to eat." Khushi leaves him and Rishab starts moving towards the kitchen and he falls down.