Chapter Six

Lucy

     I laughed before I responded to his ridiculous statement about marrying me. "You must be desperate," I took a bite of my sub.
     "Why do you say that?" He challenged me with a crossed brow.
     "Cause you don't even know me, and after I nearly tore your ear off, I am surprised you're even talking to me. You must have balls."
     "Biggest balls you've ever seen." He rubbed his package winking at me.
      "Unlike Tucker, who will never have kids now thanks to miss nutcracker." Dylan chuckled.
     "Shut the fuck up," Tucker smacked Dylan on the arm.
     I felt bad now for overreacting, but that woman hurt me. I just assumed I was some big joke amongst them that night. I've had pent-up feelings for him somehow since that night.
      "I'm sorry, Tucker." I stood up and took my half-eaten sub and placed it on the counter. I walked out.

Tucker

     "Seriously, Dylan?" I shook my head at him.
     "What?" He shrugged his shoulders like he didn't get it.
      "What happened anyways for her to go ballistic on you?"
      "She was over at my house last week, and some chick that I used to bang came over and found us together, but it wasn't like what you're thinking.
I was helping her out. She was really drunk. Anyway, Becky, the bïtch said some pretty shitty things to Lucy."
     "Damn..."
      "I told him that this woman would freak out if she found someone else in his bed," Chester butted in, letting the guys know he warned me.
      "Do you like Lucy?" Jasper implored as he leaned back in his seat.
      "What's it to you?"
      "Well, if she's a free game, is she off-limits?" The guys all look at me.
      "Anyone of you touches her. I'll break your face." I spoke with sternness.
      "So, are you two together?" Tommy wanted to know.
      "No, but I would like to explore things."
      "Good luck with her dad here." Tommy laughed.
      "Is he that bad?"
      The guys all avoided my eyes.
      "Let's just say he'll probably toss you off the damn boat if you hurt her." Dylan chuckled.
      "Then I'll wait until we dock."
      "You'd wait that long to get some pussy?" Jasper leaned in, rubbing his hands together. Smirking mischievously, knowing it would be killer to wait.
       "Fuck, I don't know. I'm not good at relationships or being more than fuck buddies."
      "Dude, be careful. She's not one of the whores you take home." Chester announced as he cleared his plate.
       "I know." I rub the back of my neck.

Intercom:

     "Guys, enough gossiping are you going to make my daughter do all the hard work?" We hear her dad over the intercom.
      We hurried up to the deck. Lucy was already suited up and lowering a cage.
Damn, all by herself. I rushed over and helped her with the next one.
      "I don't need your help." She grabbed for the next cage and hoisted it up, and held it on the edge of the boat. The boat tipped, and her hand let go of the cage, and it slipped into the water before it was secure.
      "Shit!" She screamed as she jumped up on the ledge.
      "Lucy, get down," I yelled.
      "Fuck Lucy, off the ledge." Her dad yelled out over the intercom.
      "She grabbed the pulley with the hook, and she suddenly jumped off into the choppy water below.
      "Help her!" Her dad yelled nervously.
      I looked for something for her to hold onto. Chester ran over and tossed a life preserver. She grabbed it. She got the cage hooked up then she swam towards the boat. The waves were harsh as they crashed over her. I was taking her under. My heart was racing.
     She got to the ladder that was on the side. She started climbing up. My heart was pounding so hard. I seriously thought she was gone. Chester and I lifted her up and over the edge of the boat.
     She collapsed to the boat's floor, heaving hard, shaking badly.
     The captain came over. "What the fuck, Lucy? You could have gotten yourself killed." He was pissed.
     "Well, I'm still here." Her lips were blue her teether was chattering. She sat up shivering.
      "Why would you jump over the edge?"
     "Cause I messed up. I let go of the cage before it was hooked."
     "It's not worth your life, sweetheart." He said with pain in his voice.
     "I thought you would be pissed that I lost a cage."
     "Seriously, you think I give a shit about a damn cage?"
     "I don't know." Her lips quivered.
Tears descended down her pale-looking face. I helped her up off the deck floor.
     "I'm sorry ok?" She shoved away from me as I walked off into the boat.
     "Guys, what the hell happened?" He looked at us.
     "She was doing it all by herself."
     "You fucked up to don't let it happen again. She's all I have left. Please protect her."
    "I'm sorry." I felt terrible.
    "Go find her...," he snapped.
    "The rest of you get back to work. And don't mess this up. Those caged are expensive." He shouted as he walked off.
     Chester and Dylan both shook their heads.
    "What?"
    "Dude, what were you doing?"
    "Me, she--"
    "You messed up."
    "It all happened so fast, I tried to fucking help, but she wouldn't let me."
I walked off feeling a mixture of pissed and relieved. Pissed, I was to blame but relieved that it turned out the way it did. I've heard way too many tragic stories of people dying in the water from falling overboard.
      I walked below the deck and searched the quarters. I found her in one of the rooms. She was lying down on the top bunk, wrapped in a blanket. "Lucy?"
     "Leave me alone." I could still hear her chattering teeth.
     "You should have a warm shower," I suggested.
     She sat up and slid off the bed. "Will you help me?"
    "Okay." I wrapped my arms around her. Even with the blanket around her, I could feel how cold she was.
      I led her out of the room and down to the washroom. It was pretty snug. I turned on the shower keeping my arms around her. I'm pretty sure if I let go, she would fall to the ground.
      The boat tipped, making us fall against the shower. I didn't have time to prepare for the fall. She landed on top of me. "Shit, sorry." She hurried to get up.
      "I like this. Nothing like a woman on top." I joked. Her eyes fused with mine.
      She slapped my chest, pushing me off.
     "Out!" She pointed to the door.
     "You don't need a spotter, do you?" I asked, hoping she would ask me to stay. Having her on top made me want her so bad.
     "No, I don't need a spotter. Just listen for the thumb in case I fall over."
     "Alright." I leaned, her eyes widened, and her pulse seemed to elevate. "Don't be scared." I paused; I moved in, not ready to leave her.
     "Don't you dare?" She pushed away, holding onto the wall. "Out and no peeking."
    "Come on, just a little? I smirk, biting my lip, holding in my groan.
    She turned and dropped the blanket; holy shit. Her body was like a sexy silhouette that stood before me. 
     "Evil," I growled as I retreated out of the washroom. I waited outside the door just in case.
      The sweet scent of vanilla poured out of the washroom when she exited. "Damm," I said as she walked out and headed back to her room. The door clicked closed. The towel was so short that her long slender legs looked like they went on forever. I could see her ass cheeks peeking out. Her tight ass was perky as the towel hugged her body. I wanted to be that towel. Be wrapped around her. I needed space feeling my body react to her. I went back up to the top deck.
     The Captain called me up.
     Great, still in trouble.
     I slowly made my way and entered the captain's perch. "Hey, Captain." I made myself known.
    "How is she doing?"
    "She had a shower; that should warm her up."
     "Okay, good; I'm sorry for losing my temper. I was wrong. I was just quick to react, and I blamed you. Sorry."
      I was not expecting this. "I don't blame you, sir; I should have been faster to react. It just all happened so fast. I told her to help her, but she was stubborn and wouldn't let me help her."
     "Are we going to have trouble here?
Should I send you back?" He eyed me over.
     "I hope you won't. But I understand if you think I'm not right here."
     "Just get along. Please, these waters are no place for bad tempers and mistrust. Try and work together."
     "I will do my part, sir."
     "Call me Jax..."
     "Ok."
     "You can go." He said casually.
     "K, Jax, I'm sorry for what happened."
     "She's all I have; treat her right, please." He turned to face me fully.
     "I will, Jax." I nodded as I walked out.
      I saw her sitting on a tackle box. I walked over and took a seat beside her. "Lucy?"
     She was looking out at the water; her eyes were so beautiful as I see the water reflecting them.
     "What?" She mumbled, not even breaking eye contact with what she was focused on.
      "Can we start over and be friends?"
     Her head whipped back; now, her eyes were on mine.
     "You want to be friends?" She seemed surprised.
      "Yes! I meant it. Another new thing for me."
      "I guess." She shrugged her shoulders as she could care less.
      "Damn, tell me how you feel."
      "It's best we are friends anyways. I couldn't give you anything more."
       Then she looked lost in thought about something.
       "Would you want more?" I turned slightly and reached out to tuck her hair behind her ear. She sighed from my touch.
      "I couldn't even if I wanted to."
      "Why's that?" I'm curious.
      "Just not in the right place."
      "I could be everything you've never known."
      Her eyes swelled up with tears. "No. I've already had everything with someone."
     "Are you still together?"
     She abruptly stood up and walked over to the side of the boat. My heart raced; I was still anxious from what happened earlier. I am quickly at her side.
      "Talk to me." I leaned in and saw more tears spilling down her face.
     "Talking doesn't help." She softly whimpered. Her eyes floated up and stared into mine.
     "Then don't talk about it." I brushed my hand over hers.
     "We should get back to work." She walks off over to Chester and Tommy.
      She's breaking my heart with her harvesting this pain that she can't seem to deal with.