16.

New York City, 2016

"Miss Konstantin has arrived, Boss."

"Thanks F.R.I.D.A.Y."

After putting Secretary Ross on an unlimited hold - he really did love to watch the light blink, imagining the frustration of the person on the other end of the line, especially if that person was Ross - Tony headed to the front doors of the facility. 

"I've never seen it so quiet around here," Kass remarked as she headed inside the building.

"Yeah, me neither." 

"I saw Rhodey.  That leg brace you designed for him is really amazing."

"He'd never walk again without it."

"Yeah.   I asked how he was, he told me to piss off. But he did tell me about 'Tony Stank'."

"Oh, wonderful. Glad to hear it."

"I love it." She chuckled, then turned more serious.  "He's lucky to have a friend like you."

"Yeah, maybe."

"He is."

"Yeah.  You know, Ross is still after you-"

"Ross the Secretary of State, or Ross the Agent?"

"Both, but confusing, I know."

"Yeah, confusing is right.  And actually, they're not. I turned myself in. I'm officially retired."

"From being a thief or being an Avenger?"

"Both.  Though I was never technically an official member of the team."

"Yeah, and now you won't have that chance, I'm afraid."

"That's okay. Teamwork stuff isn't really how I usually roll." She shrugged.  "But it was fun while it lasted."

"Yeah." He sighed.  "I just thought it would last at least a little longer. 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes'," he scoffed.

"Hey, you did good. This isn't your fault - you were only doing what felt right. I'm sick and tired of people blaming you for everything that goes wrong."

"Thanks. So am I. But you can't deny it, it is kinda my fault."

"Like I said, you were just doing what you felt was right. And maybe it is right for this moment in time."

"Maybe. I'm starting to wonder now." 

"All this stuff that's been happening lately, really puts into perspective what we're dealing with, huh?"

He scoffed and shook his head, turning away - this was not the reaction she was expecting, or that she wanted.  

"Tony, I love you," she assured him. "Isn't that enough?" He said nothing. "I guess not." She sighed.

"I want to take this relationship further, but you don't."

"No, I don't. Not right now. At least not in that way. And why do we have to get married to do that? We can still take it further without getting married." 

"You always run when it gets hard. It's becoming predictable. If I'm starting to feel rough I just expect you to not be there. That's a pretty crappy thing to rely on. But, what can I expect? I guess that's what I get for falling in love with a criminal."