24.

Rome, Italy, 2016

"Okay, what can you tell me about who's chasing us?" Tony said.

"I already told you-" Regina began. 

"Not talking to you. F.R.I.D.A.Y.?"

"Scanning the vehicles now, Boss...  Three SUVs, four armed people in each."

 Regina ducked as the back window was shattered by bullets.  "Yeah, armed, definitely armed!"

"This is a rental!" cried Tony.

"I don't think they care!" Kass ducked as well, just for safety's sake.  Then she called back to Regina, "Can you take the adamant stuff-"

"Adamantium."

"Whatever! Can you take it out of the case it's in?"

"Yeah, okay."

"Put it in something else."

Regina did as requested, emptying the case of the special metal and sticking it in her bag, holding the now empty case out to Kass.

Kass took it and opened the window.  She waved the case out the window before hurling it back at the pursing truck. The case struck the windshield and bounced off, rolling onto the road.

"What was that supposed to do?" Regina asked.

"I'm making this up as I go! And they're chasing us thanks to you," Kass reminded her. "Tony, you concentrate on driving. I'll concentrate on distracting them."

"What about me?" asked Regina.

"Just stay down - you've done enough already." She turned back to Tony. "This is the part where you tell me you love me and no matter what happens out there you'll always love me."

"I love you and no matter what happens out there I'll always love you."

She snorted with laughter.  "Cheeky."

With that, she opened the window, leaned out of it and aimed her gauntlet at the SUV.  A laser shot from it, slicing the front of the SUV, causing it to spin out of control.  This took care of two of the pursuing cars, with the second one slamming into the first as it spun, but the third swerved around and continued the chase. 

Regina was firing her gun from the other window. "Thought you could use some help."

"I don't, but thanks anyways."

"Hey Iron Man, care to help?" Regina called over her shoulder.

"I'm driving! I'd say that's helping, thank you very much."

Kass aimed her gauntlet lower, and fired the laser again, which this time struck the front tires of the third SUV. This one spun out of control as well, off the road completely and into the side of a building. Regina cheered.

"I think we're good - for now." Kass fell back into her seat.  "We need to ditch this flashy car," she said with a pointed glance towards her boyfriend.

"Hey, I like my cars," he defended.  

"Well, this one's in quite a state."

"It's not that bad..." Tony assessed the damage - and there was lots of it thanks to the chase.  "Yeah, I'm going to buy it off the rental company," he decided. 

"Can you do that?"

"Well we can't return it like this."

"True." 

"I think we should get back to the States," he said. 

"Sounds like a plan," Kass agreed.  She turned to Regina.  "And you're coming with us."

--------------------------------------------------

"Can you say it? Come on, say it," Regina urged. 

"We know you love to say it, Boss."

"That A.I. is so badass. Come on, just say it."

Tony rolled his eyes.  "I am Iron Man."

"So cool." Regina leaned back in her seat.  They trio were currently in a jet on the way back to the U.S.  "I could get used to this private jet." She tucked her arms behind her head and kicked her feet up.

"Remember this isn't a holiday," Kass told her. "We're working to clean up the mess you started."

"So how did you two meet? I mean dirty thief and billionaire extraordinaire? Not really your every-day match."

"Thanks," said Kass.  Then she grinned.  "I robbed his billionaire ass."

"You attempted to," Tony corrected.

"More than once."

"Hmm.  Well, I'm team Captain America myself, no offence.  Speaking of which, do you think I could meet said gorgeous Captain?"

"I don't get everyone's obsession with him," said Tony bitterly. "Honestly, he's not all that great." 

"Are you kidding?" Regina scoffed. 

"The Avengers situation got pretty messy," Kass explained. "We were divided on a lot of issues."

Clearly Regina got the idea from the tone of her voice. "That bad, huh?"

"Yeah, that bad."

"Yeah, that's why I try to avoid teamwork at all costs. It's overrated to me."

"I used to be that way," Kass agreed. "But then, when I tried it, I found teamwork wasn't all that bad. Depends on  the team.  This team was a good one, we just couldn't agree on a lot of things, unfortunately. It is nice though, knowing someone always has your back.  Or at least that's how it should be." 

"Okay then... How about Thor?"

"Thor hasn't been sighted on Earth since last year," Tony informed her.

"Damn it. He's pretty gorgeous too."

"He is," Kass agreed.

"Hey, whose side are you on?" Tony cried. 

"Team Iron Man, always."

"I have to say I am a fan of Thor as well," piped-up F.R.I.D.A.Y.

"Of course you are."

"So if the Avengers are broken up, what have you been doing?" Regina asked them. 

Kass shrugged.  "Not much, honestly. Trying to clean up the mess we made.  And I don't know, maybe that's a good thing, if we don't have much to do. Means things are better out there. Somewhat."

"For now," added Tony. "Things never stay settled for long, as we've learned. We learned that the hard way.  We know it all too well." 

(I'm nearing the end of my Endgame story so I'm trying to finish up this one as well - we still have a few chapters left though! 

As always, thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))