8.

Europe, 2010

"So what's your story?" Fury asked. They were currently on one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s jets heading for Rome. Kass was all suited up and was in the process of readying her various gadgets.

"Shouldn't you have interviewed me about this before you hired me?" 

He shrugged. "I'm curious."

She shrugged back.  "Not much to tell, really. I was born in Sokovia, in the Old City."

"Your parents?" asked Stark, suddenly interested.

"They died."

"So did mine. You got siblings?"

"No."

"Got a boyfriend? Girlfriend?"

"Neither. Just me." 

"How long have you been a thief?" asked Fury.

"Pretty much since my parents died.  I was twelve then. Been on the street since. Well, I've rented apartments here and there, but I don't spend much time there."

"Rented from the profits off of stolen goods I imagine," said Stark. 

She clipped the last of the gadgets to her utility belt. "Not all of us can be billionaires."

---------------------------------

The gala turned out to be a total shit show.

Fury had advised a more behind-the-scenes approach, meaning don't infiltrate from within (a.k.a don't pose as a guest). Sneak in, cut the power, steal the weaponized designs. 

Get in. Get the prize. Get out.

She was good with that.  That was usually how she operated on her missions. Stark, however, as one may have guessed, preferred to make more of a scene, swoop in with one of his fancy suits and save the day.

Get in. Get the prize. Get out.

This time, however, it turned out to not be that simple, even though it should have been.

That was all because of someone who's name began with a T and ended in a K. 'Tony Snark' she was starting to refer to him as. 

All this had led to a shootout and messy flee from security, and, ultimately, on top of that, no retrieved weapons. 

"What the hell was that?!" cried Stark when she arrived back on the jet. 

"Don't, 'what the hell was that?!' me! You wouldn't shut up and stop telling me what to do!" she shot back. "This annoying voice in my ear the whole time. I couldn't concentrate!"

"I'm used to doing all the hands-on stuff. I'm not used to being off to the side on missions."

"Clearly."

"I needed to know what was going on!"

"Well sorry-not-sorry that you weren't the centre of attention for once."

"Well enjoy it while it lasts."

"You wanted my help-"

"I needed your skills."

"Well there's lots of people out there with my skills, and lucky for you, I'm the one you got so you're stuck with me!"

"Yeah, lucky me."