Part Twelve- Taurus

Dedicated to kirka100 , my Taurus bean

All that is heard from above the bunker is scrambling feet, zips moving and hushed voices.

Inside, the scene is worse. Children, confused and scared cry in corners as parents pack bags, attempting to hush them. As a group, they assemble, ready to  file into the dimly lit tunnel that leads to the sewers under the city of Taurus. A radio transmission was sent out, but intercepted on the one frequency that was thought to be safe.

A young girl sits, transcribing a note for her blind father, who then ties it to a pigeon and releases it through the vents. An envelope sits on the table, leaving a note and payment to the barkeep upstairs, thanking him for his hospitality. They fall into silence as they enter the tunnels to begin the long journey toward the Scorpio border, around 40 miles northeast of Taurus Tavern. The young girl, Tara runs to catch up to her group, finally escaping the Taverns godforsaken bunker.

The walls seem to close in on the single file snake of arms and legs, arms scraped and knees bruised as they reach the first checkpoint.

The Cancer Coastline.

The barkeep instructed the group to follow the coastline for 20 miles, and then divert to the left. 5 miles from there is the Scorpio Society. The group had walked 15 miles already, the young children were asleep on their careers backs, slowing them down almost to a halt.

Quietly and slowly, they reached an accomodation point, built by the engineers and builders of the past. Built before the Zodiac came.

Tara wasn't sure of the time, but she was tired. And hungry. But rations were low and children were priority.

Sleep arrived like a mallet to the face that night, and Tara did not dream.