Chapter 1

Yogini Anand

I had no idea what to say to JT. He was such an ass. I can't believe I am standing in this deserted place, literally. This is a desert. I don't know why I had to come, here, alone. I could always get a few people with me, I mean that is what we always do if we are surveying something. 

Let me introduce myself, I am Yogini Anand and I survey people living in a different social setting and that makes me a sociologist. I work for a firm in Delhi that basically works for the government so that is why I am here, alone, did I mention that. It was almost twelve in noon when I reached the village of Tanot. This is basically 100 kilometers away from Jaisalmer where the government along with a private company was planning to set up windmills and employ local people. The village was known for its notorious crime. There was everything illegal about this village. They had everything from imported guns to drugs to bullets to god knows what. 

JT, my boss rather colleague thought that it would be totally fine to send a girl alone to this place. He said that people were quite friendly and would help and tell me about them but I guess that won't be the scenario, considering the fact I have already heard guns firing, twice. 

Gathering all my courage and strapping my backpack close to me I entered the village through the main gate. Even if it was noon time there were people everywhere. Considering the looks of the place it was probably the market place and there was a temple just at the entry point. There were arms shops just at the entry and then there were vegetable shops all over the market. It was just like the village like in Ramleela movie. Everything was like that only even people were dressed in that way, the modern dressing was nowhere to be seen except on me. The men were in a loose shirt and dhooti with a rifle hanging on their back and women were dressed in black cholis and skirts with dupatta draped over their heads. 

I had to meet the sarpanch of the village. There was an arms shop from where I decided to ask the address of the sarpanch. I went near the shop and saw a boy a little younger than me laughing while looking at his phone. He quickly noticed me. 

"Come madam Ji" he welcomed, "Not many ladies buy guns on their own but there are some who buy so I am guessing you are one of them," he said without giving me any chance to speak, "This is our best product" he showed me an air rifle, "Fifty meters is the range," he said and fired it in the air making me close my ears. Was he out of his head?

"Too loud," he said, "Let me show you something else," he said as he went inside his small shop.

"Listen I don't want-"

"No problem madam, you just have a look at this pistol," he said and handed me a small revolver which I quickly threw away. 

"Re madam Ji," he said and picked up the revolver, "How are you going to fire when you can't even hold it properly"

"No, listen" I yelled. 

"Madamji" he looked at me with disbelief. 

"I am looking for the sarpanch can you tell me where I'll find him" I finally said. 

"Oh ho madam Ji you should have told me earlier," he said as he kept the guns away, "Chotu" he gave a call to another boy and he came near him, "Take care of the shop" he commanded. 

"Come, madam Ji I'll take you to him" 

"No you just tell me I'll go on my own," I said as he tried to take my bag which I refused to give to him. 

"Madamji the village is very big and you won't be able to find him and then I'll give you a tour as well" he was right the village was quite big and I didn't want to walk in this hot weather anyways.