Chapter 14

Third person

Alex had decided to stay the night and leave the next day, sometime in the afternoon. But throughout his stay, he was unable to meet the human girl or even have a glimpse of her.

His blood seemed to be reaching out to her for whatever reasons that he was not aware of. The next morning, he hoped to see her during breakfast. But it seemed like, she thought it better to skip breakfast than to sit with all these unfamiliar faces.

So, Alex made it his mission to talk to her once, before he left in a few hours. Or even just see her. He didn't know why but he wanted to make sure she was okay. So, he randomly walks around the whole mansion of a pack house, he once used to call home.

He looked through every possible place he could think of but nothing. He sighed as he thought of where she could be now as he stood in the middle of the field, looking around. He was almost about to give up when his feet moved on its own accord, like it had a mind of its own too.

He went deeper and deeper into the woods until he realised where he was. He saw her lay on her back on the thick green field, her face facing the sky with her eyes tightly closed shut. He didn't know why but this seemed very familiar to him.

It bought a déjà vu. She now lay on the same place that he once pledged his loyalty to his goddess. To Althea. And now at this very moment, there lay another Althea. He smiled at himself as he thought of the game that the goddess was playing right now.

She had bought the human Althea here, in front of him again as some sort of indication. A sign. Like the goddess herself wanted him to protect this Althea too. This human that lay there carefree, with no idea of how dangerous this world was.

He lets out a soft breath, one that Althea couldn't hear. Then he slowly makes his way towards her and stands a few feet away from her. When she didn't notice his presence, he chuckled. "Hi, Althea."

Althea jolted up, with eyes wide open. She sat a few feet away, her arms behind her, supporting her body. Alex laughed at this and sat down on the ground himself. "Sorry about that. I didn't mean to scare you."

Althea relaxed a little as she realized who was with her. It was Alex. The person that she somehow felt safe to be with. The one person that she felt like she could trust with her life. She sat more comfortably, with her legs crossed and looked his way. She smiled as she saw his bright face, voice filled with joy and playfulness.

"It seems you have changed for good."

He stopped laughing as he looked at her who was smiling brightly at him. "Do you know me?"

And that seemed to ward off whatever ghost that possessed her body. It was like that time with Tray and Natalie, the one who spoke those words were not her. Her own eyes grew wide at realisation of what she had said, and his question now directed at her.

Did she know him? No, she did not. Did she feel as if she knew him? Definitely. But she shakes her head regardless. He chuckles as he sighs. "What was I thinking? Never mind that."

"Anyways, why are you here?" He asks her now, curious to why she chose this place out of all the others.

Althea smile once again as she looks at the ground and traces it lightly with her palm. "I don't know."

"This place just pulled me to it, I guess." She looks up at him. "Why are you here?"

He chuckles again. "I guess, this place really just pulls you to it then." Alex replies as he looks around and leans back looking at the blue sky. He felt her eyes follow his movements. "Feel free to ask whatever it is you want to ask?"

But he doesn't move his eyes away from the sky. Althea squints her eyes as she looks at him, searching for any clues that might indicate that she knew him but as usual it was pretty much empty. This makes her sigh out loud.

"Why do I feel like I know you?" This makes Alex look back at her, his own brows knitted as his dark brown eyes reads her dark blue ones in hopes that he too could figure it out. But he had no such luck.

He too lets out a breath. "I feel like I know you too." Althea's eyes go wide with hope. "But I'm sorry to say this again, I have never met you before yesterday."

And with that whatever hope she had melted off and washed away.

"Are you leaving soon?" she asks changing the topic.

"Yes, in less than an hour, in fact." He replies now getting up on his feet. He looks down at her with a smile playing on his lips. "I guess I'll see you around then."

Althea nods her head and he turns around to leave. But something takes over her mouth again as the words she spoke makes Alex freeze on his place and look back at her, shocked.

When he finally recovers, he nods his head.

"If or when you need help, just give me a word. Ask them for the Warrior pack and I'll be there for you." His eyes hold promises of the words he spoke as the wind swiftly blows past them.

Althea didn't know the depth of the meaning his words held as she nods her head at him. And this time he leaves her with her own thoughts and her mouth that seemed possessed at times.

She knew that there was definitely something wrong with her. Her thoughts even took her as far as to think if there was another soul that was within this body of hers. She shuddered at her own thought. But she really did want to know. Why had she asked him that? Did it mean anything?

"Did you find a place where you belong?"