Chapter 8: Ignoring the Obvious

'Studying is boring.'

'I agree,' Zak says, shutting his book. 'Let's play Minecraft.'

Bad rolls his eyes. 'Not yet, you muffins. We still have about twenty minutes left. Come on, Geppy and Dream.'

Zak groans, opening his book again. Dream just mumbles, tapping his pen as he struggles with his French essay.

The group were studying in the library. Prom was approaching quickly. However, this didn't stop some teachers from giving tests during prom week so the six friends sit in the library, studying and doing homework in each other's company.

Techno eyes one of the children who is pulling books off the shelves onto the floor. 'I swear if that child throws another book onto the ground, I'll show it how the books feel.'

There's a collective response. Gasps and stunned laughter. Miss Ronnie shushes them from her desk and they decrease their volume.

'Techno, what the Hell?!' Sapnap comments in hushed tones, eyes wide.

'What? Did I do something wrong?'

'Oh my God,' George says, burying his head in his notebook. 

They descend into silence again, shuffling notes and clicking pens, mute. George sighs, attention gone, deciding to look around. He thinks to the most recent sticky notes that he found nearly an hour ago in his pencil case.

You're so close yet so far

I wish I could love you

He hadn't told anyone about these two. In fact, he didn't tell anyone about some of the notes he received previously and recently. It seemed more private, now that he knows they're close to him. Despite desperate to know who it is, he didn't want to expose them by embarrassing them. 

His eyes wander, staring at the group around him. Techno is glaring at the child in the kid's corner. If looks could kill, the toddler would've been destroyed by now. George immediately gets uncomfortable and moves on, eyes falling on Zak, who is absentmindedly turning the pages, bored out of his mind. Usually, he'd be annoying Bad by complaining but seeing as they were in a public quiet place, he couldn't. George then looks at Dream, who leisurely writes in his notebook, effortlessly. It definitely didn't look like study notes or homework. George assumed it was another story idea that his friend had conjured. Dream was great at story-writing, it was enviable.

Sapnap has his earphones plugged back in, bopping his head absentmindedly as he drums out the beat to himself using a pencil. If George was studying, he would definitely ne irked and start arguing with him.

George then moves to Bad. He's calm, studying. An open book in one hand and a pen in the other. He writes down his notes, unaware of his friend's stare. 

'Bad... where did you get those sticky notes?'

Bad looks up, innocent. 'What?'

George points at the sticky notes stuck onto the refill pad. 'Where did you get them?'

'Uh, I don't know. I got them a few weeks ago. There was a sale in the shop because they're closing down. I think they're shut now, though... I don't know.'

George is silent. The whole table looks at the boy, confused.

'George?'

'Bad, are you the one writing me those notes?'

'Wh- no?'

'I hate to burst your bubble, George, but you could get those paper things at any ordinary stationary store,' Techno says.

George flushes red, putting his head in his hands, embarrassed. 'I'm sorry, but this has been going on for weeks! I just wanna know who it is. It's literally killing me.'

Zak pats his back sympathetically. 'Sorry, buddy. But if you want to shorten your list, me and Bad are together!' He grins cheekily and George feels even more stupid, burying his head deeper into his arms.

Bad splutters, turning to look at the other incredulously. 'Wh- I- Skeppy!'

'Uh, congrats!' Dream says, clearly confused by the sudden announcement.

Bad is scarlet, blushing as tries to cover his face with his hands. 'I can't believe you said that, you muffinhead!'

'I mean, you're taking me to Prom. They were going to find out anyways.'

George prays that the world would open up and swallow him whole right about now. He was dying of embarrassement and hopes no one would notice his flushed face. He curses himself. It was so obvious Skeppy and Bad were a thing. Why would he even suspect Bad?

'George.'

'Mm...' He's so defeated that he isn't even bothered to string together a sentence. The other doesn't back down, persistent but kind.

'George, look at me.'

The British boy warily lifts his head, staring up at Dream. He smiles back warmly. 

'Good. Now... don't worry. You'll find them. You just need to stop ignoring the obvious.'

'I'm trying,' George whines.

'Try harder but also, try less,' Sapnap chimes in.

George huffs. 'Wow, thanks, Sapnap.'

'You're welcome.'

'Hey, I helped too!' Dream pouts.

The British male scoffs, rolling his eyes. 'You're welcome too, I guess. Idiot.' 

'Love you too.'

George eyes widen. 'Wh- okay then.'

Dream just winks at him cockily before returning to his work, whatever it was. George shakes his head in disbelief but he can't wipe the small smile off his face. Dream just seemed to have that effect on him.

Although, the thing is, there was one note that was left in his locker that made George freeze. Yesterday, he was alone, early again, and, in his locker, was an assortment of sticky notes of various colours, sentences too familiar to not be song lyrics.

You don't have to say you love me

You don't have to say nothing

You don't have to say you're mine

I'd walk through fire for you

Just let me adore you

The moment George had read those words, he had to lean on the closed lockers beside him, stunned. It was Harry Styles, one popular song that George was very familiar with. Not only was it played everywhere on radios and in stores, one of his friend's loved it. 

That friend was an all-too familiar Texan with stupid humour, varying music taste and has been sending George fleeting looks now that George has realized.

Sapnap was George's suspicion. And George didn't know if he liked him back.

Chapter 8: 939

Total words: 8,123