Hello, Goodbye | Paul

[1967]

__

SCENE:
You watched as your child, Evan, flew past you, chasing one of his brothers, James, down the narrow hallway in your open-spaced home. You sighed and sat down on your worn out, green velvet sofa, taking in the heaviness of your day.

You never wanted a nanny to take care of the kids; you wanted to do it all by yourself like a normal parent. However you felt single. Paul was always gone now, working day and night on music, music, and more music. You were happy that he was being productive, and more than grateful he was providing for you and your kids, but you still felt hurt.

The sun was setting and you were expecting Paul to be home soon, as he usually would come home and dash into his office to work more.

This night you planned things to be different. You were going to leave him home alone with the kids and hope he can get a little perspective while you went out for a night.

__

"Hello!" Paul cheered, walking in with his briefcase and kissing your cheek. You stood frozen.

"Goodbye." You smiled devilishly, reaching for your purse.

"I don't know why you're saying 'goodbye' when I said 'hello'." He looked at you quizzically.

"Goodbye." You said again.

"Hello." He cheered, unsure of the game you were playing.

Suddenly, James ran into the room.

"Can I go over and play at Max's house?" He asked.

"Yes." Paul answered.

"No." You shot back.

"Go." Paul insisted to the little boy, ignoring your wishes and making you grow angrier at his act of defiance when he was never home to be a proper parent anymore.

"Stop." You added.

"Go, go, go." He kept ignoring you, making James look back and forth at you two confusingly, noticing your eyes narrowing at Paul, ready to slap him.

"Oh, no." James said, rushing out of the room.

"Why are you telling him he can when I said no?" You placed a hand on your hip.

"I don't see a reason why he can't?" Paul's soft voice was making your blood boil.

"Why can he? If I'm leaving and you're staying home only to shut yourself behind those doors." You pointed a shaky finger at the white door to his office.

"I still don't know why you're saying goodbye?"

"Paul!!" You released, screaming. Paul's eyes widened. "For Christ's sake! You're never even home anymore to take care of the kids or even care for me."

"I'm home right now." He answered stupidly.

"Oh!!" You huffed in agony, slamming your fists down by your sides. "You lock yourself in the god damn closet making music!"

"It's money!" He yelled.

"God!!" You screamed back. "Goodbye! I'm leaving."

"Why?"

You ignored him and shut the door behind you and started walking down your cobblestone steps, humming a mocking tune of Paul:
"I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello."

___

this was so funny to make omg. Paul was a real dick. If you know the song well, most of these lines are funny