Its Only Love | Paul

[1965]
__

SCENE:
The sky outside was a watercolor painting of orange and blue, the dark indigo night coming in at the corners of the skyline, tiny stars beginning to reveal themselves to the veracious and delicate creatures below.

Paul had just called his girlfriend to remind her that he set up a reservation at a local eatery with tall window panes and fancy gold lettering on the front door. It was a French restaurant that Brain Epstein had recommend for privacy—what he neglected to mention was that it happened to be full of gay men. Either way, it was thoughtful and quaint, even if Paul and his girlfriend were the only straight couple in the building.

Paul was deeply in love with her. That head over heels, gets high when he sees her go by, and when she sigh his stomach releases butterflies. Wherever he went—alone—he was a verbose character for many, however, whenever he's near her he can't help but be shy.

__

Paul paced in circles around the small table, waiting for her to walk through the white threshold to their private room. He noticed a spot on the tablecloth and quickly placed the candle holder on top.

It had to be perfect.

"It's only love, that's all." He talked to himself. He let out a big breath of air and sat down, groaning. "Why should I feel the way I do?"

She suddenly walked in, her round, black sunglasses unnecessary in the pale moonlight, her pink, turtleneck shift dress slim against her soft skin, her short white boots matching with her thick vinyl headband.

He walked up to her to be a guide, placing a hesitant and slightly fearful kiss to her cheek. The two of them had been going through a bit of a rough time, and Paul knew most of it was because he had never really been in love before, it was all so new.

"Please, sit." He helped her into the funky shaped, dark wood chair before sitting down across from her.

"Paul-"

"Y/N." He placed his palm up to her. "I know we should talk." He gulped and looked down at his empty plate. "I'm in love with you. A-And I've been trying to tell myself, 'it's only love and that is all', but it's so hard loving you."

She reached out and held onto his stiff hand, drawing on his open palm with her curved, opaque pink nails.

"Why's that, James?"

The small hairs on the back of his neck stood up and he stiffened.

"Is it right that you and I should fight every night?" She added.

"Just the sight of you makes nighttime bright, very bright."

"Oh, cut the lyrics." She rolled her eyes and dropped his hand. "Why is loving me so hard?"

"Haven't I the right to make it up to you? I'm trying to!"

"Oh, Paul." She exhaled through her mouth and picked up the metal fork to her right, precariously dangling it between her fingers. "It's only love. And that is all. Don't overthink it."

With that she pushed herself out of the chair, drawing up her small, white vinyl purse to her side, digging for a note, which she tossed to him to help cover the meal she wouldn't stay for.

"Where are you going?" He quickly felt his cheeks flush.

"Take time to think, Paul." She snapped her purse shut and smiled at him before modestly waving and leaving the private room.

__

this song gave me broken heart vibes so here you go.