P.S I Love You | George

[1963]

__

SCENE:

The rain softly hit against the glass window in front of me, my eyes soft as I watched it splash against the sidewalk and grass, creating brown, murky puddles of mud. I watched as the raindrops raced one another down the windowpane, my mind at ease with the calming sensation the shower gave.

A small rumble of thunder called in the distance, but I wasn't worried. What worried me was the safety and happiness of my boyfriend, George, since he was away on tour while I sat alone in school on the weekdays, and then would come home and await a new letter in the mail.

The quaint white truck pulled down next to my childhood home and a wide smile struck my tan face as I saw him holding a pale yellow envelope with that familiar scrawny black pen.

___

"Lara's got a letter!" Jacob, my brother who was sitting next to me watching, screamed. He took off and I followed shortly after, my arms stretching to try and grab him before he got a hold of my letter.

One time, Jacob got a hold of it. It contained some very private images of George and the boys while intoxicated. I don't like to talk about it.

"Jacob." My mother scowled.

The package of letters and other mail was shoved through the shiny golden slot near the bottom of the red, wooden front door, piling onto the carpet runner.

I dived for the stack and so did Jacob.

"Hmmph." I said triumphantly, holding the letter high In the air.

"Whatever." He sassed, crossing his arms and stomping off to his room.

I started my jaunt over to the kitchen and through to the nearby dining room table, biting my bottom lip and struggling to wedge a finger under the sealed flap on the back, however, with a few tries, I succeeded and pulled out the small piece of notebook paper and unfolded it.

It felt like George was with me when I looked at his handwriting, and my heart swelled with the longing to be back in his warm embrace.

...

Dear Lara,

As I write this letter, I send my love to you, remember that'll always be in love with you. Treasure these few words till we're together, keep all my love forever. P. S I love you. I'll be coming home again to you, love, until the day I do, love, P.S I love you.

with much love from,
Your George *hand drawn heart*

...

"Well..what did it say?" My mother stood nearby, cutting up green onions for dinner.

"It was a sweet little poem...saying how much he loves me." I swooned. My mother rolled her eyes but laughed. She was understanding that George and I were madly in love with each other.

As I went to put the letter back inside it's envelope blanket, I noticed a little polaroid was loosely placed inside and I pulled it out.

"George loves Lara. Forever."

___

___

yes, I turned that into a Polaroid.