Chapter Six

"So, Tulip," Mr. Waters pronounced as he walked into my office the next day. "I've decided that I am not going to go to that banquet..."

I rose from my seat. "Are you serious?! Do you know how much of an honor it is to be asked? Are you crazy?!" I shouted, banging my fist on my desk.

He chuckled at my little outburst. "Unless you come as my date."

"No."

"Then I guess I'm not going." He mimicked a frown.

"But you have to go!" I whined.

"Sadly, I don't have anyone to go with now."

"Bring that girl you were making out with in your office." I suggested.

"I want to bring you." He disclosed.

I shrugged. "Well that's too bad."

"You know if I asked any other girl if they would go to a banquet with me, they would say yes in a heartbeat."

I rolled my eyes at his profound overbearing. "Then go ask one of those 'other girls'."

He thought for a second then said, "You know what? Maybe I will. Just to make you jealous, Tulip." He smirked.

"Good luck with the making me jealous part," I noted.

"You know you want me, Tulip." He winked.

I laughed. "Yeah right."

"But Tulip," He started. "Would you mind coming to the banquet, not as my date, but as my assistant? It is my first banquet."

I thought it over for a moment. "Fine," I said regretfully. "But you still have to bring a date."

"Deal." He smirked. "Tomorrow at 7. I'll send a car," He stated and then left my office.

I sighed in defeat.

~

It was 6:50 in the evening on the night of the banquet. I was wearing the gown I bought for the banquet, waiting for the car Mr. Waters promised to arrive.

At exactly one minute before 7, there was a knock at my door. I opened it curiously because I was expecting a call from the driver not the driver coming to the door.

The door swung open and in front of me stood Mr. Waters in a black suit with a red tie and that devious smirk spread across his lips. He examined my attire and his smirk turned into a smile.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"You look absolutely stunning."

I felt my cheeks burn red. "Um- thanks. But what are you doing here?"

He smirked at the reddness of my cheeks then replied, "I decided to pick you up myself."

"What about your date?" I asked. "You do know that I'm not coming if you-"

Mr. Waters chuckled. "She's in the car."

"Who did you bring?" I questioned.

"You'll have to wait and see... let's go."

~

We arrived at the banquet. It was a set on a pier on the Hudson River. All the women wore beautiful gowns and the men wore suits with ties. The tables had white tableclothes with gold centerpieces and candles. A band played on a stage in the corner of the room. Couples slow danced on the dance floor in front of the stage. You could see the boats go by on the river and the lights of Hoboken across the river. It was absolutely gorgeous.