Chapter 2

[ Strange Encounter with the ] [ Strangers ]

Hinihimas ko ng bahagya ang aking sentido habang mabilis na naglalakad sa hallway. The day just started but I feel like I'm so tired and burned out already. Given the things that happened in that dream, the shadow, and that knocking on my door, idagdag na din 'yung rooster na 'yon. Tsk.

Flashback

*knock knock*

Fluffy moved a bit adjusting his pupils on the direction of the door.

"Wake up, Zero. Someone is going to meet you today."

A husky and remarkable voice uttered on the other side of the door.

I breathed in some air.

"W-wh...."

The words that I'm about to utter were swallowed back to my throat. I'm familiar with the voices of everyone living in our house, from dad, mom, Manang Dina, Hannah (Manang Dina's daughter), and Kuya Sam. And that voice coming from the other side of the door matches the voice of NONE! And in fact, it's just me and Fluffy in the whole mansion simula kahapon, mom and dad were on a couple vacation. I decided to give Manang Dina, Hannah, and Kuya Sam a day off since there's not much work here.

Yes, me and Fluffy! Wala na. Wala na dapat.

I didn't dare to make any sound.

Scratch.

Faint steps. Then total silence.

"Elysha..... hey!"

I came back to my senses when a rooster appeared in-front of me. 

"Hindi ka ba tatakbo? Late ka na"

He's all smiles, as if super-duper happy that I'm late instead of being worried.

"O, e 'bat parang ansaya mo na late ako?" I said while scanning his whole humanness features.

"You shouldn't be asking that! Hello, it's the first time that your late Miss Zero, HAHA. First time in the history!"  he said with matching wink. Eww. He might have been handsome if I didn't know him.

I'm about to lift up my sleeve a little to check the time from my watch, but I was able to stop myself from doing so.

"Can you please shut up? The edges of your lips are from ear to ear. I'm afraid that it might reach even further."

Akmang bibilisan ko pa sana ang lakad ngunit napalingon ako kay Kiel. He adjusted his grip to the stack of books in his arms to comfortably go with my pace. Medyo madami 'yon, kaya kahit labag sa kalooban ko, tutulungan ko na s'ya at late naman na ako, susulitin ko na, baka mamatay pa 'tong kumag na 'to, mapaaga ang pagreincarnate n'ya bilang kuhol.

"Give me some." I uttered barely looking at his facial expression.

He threw a confused look at me, he's moving his lips in a weird way, as if preparing to spit something.

"Hoy, anong ginagawa mo?!?" I automatically jolted back.

He showed me the bubble gum from his mouth barely held between his perfectly formed teeth! He took a step closer.

"Kiel! Ano ba?!" students around us started to throw their intriguing stares.

"You asked me to give you some haha," he swallowed back that gum, "I don't have an extra, that's why I'm giving you the last one. 'Di ko pa naman nanguya 'yan ng matagal, bonus nalang yung laway ko"

WTF!

"I mean the books! Apakadugyot mong...hmp" binilisan ko na ang lakad patungo sa hagdan. 'Di ko na hinintay yung manok na 'yon.

"vnsknviodgwnapdnbofrijboa fgnafxcndnvgdoteu" I know he's saying something but I didn't paid attention. Blab whatever you like!

Dumeretso muna ako sa cr, makikita na agad iyon pagkapadyak sa huling bahagi ng hagdan kung ikaw ay galing sa baba. It was just a few more steps before our room. I need to fix myself.

Kiel's POV

"Hoy! Zero! Akala ko ba tutulungan mo ako?!" I managed to shout those words while chewing more of my precious bubble gum hoping that she'll hear me and turn around.

It's already a kind gesture that giving-her-my-last-bubble-gum thing, then she'll just flee, other girls would've accepted it.

"Ungrateful child. Tss," I mumbled as I tried to reach for my striped handkerchief on the chest pocket of my polo.

Anyway, I'm Kiel Kennedy Langdon. Zero's best pal since childhood days. She's so lucky to have me, Kiel Kennedy the great, as her friend.

Most say that I'm the most handsome guy in the whole campus.

I tried to keep up with Zero but I'm struggling on the staircase, this pile of books is heavy. As I did my last step on the stair, I saw Zero's flawless back heading to her classroom. What took her so long in walking huh? Maybe the spirit of slug possessed her today, she's even late.

She's already at the door of class 2-1 when I heard Miss Manalastas voice.

"You're late, miss Uy!"

"I'm--m s...."

"No, ma'am. Zero's not late, she helped me carrying these books at the first floor. Hehe." I wore my best charming smile to convince miss Manalastas while showing the books to her.

2....5....8....9 seconds passed and.....

"Oh, really my dear Kiel?" The favor is in me as always when it comes to our physics teacher. Behind her glasses, her eyes are sparkling while looking at me.

"Okay then, miss Zero, proceed to your seat."

I fired a you're-welcome look at this mere little girl beside me but she just fired back with a leave! stare. Really an ungrateful kid! I bowed a little at miss Manalastas after setting the books on the desk.

Zooming my gaze on the direction of Zero, I saw her lost in thought while playing her pen. I turned to give miss Manalastas a good bye gesture but I caught a fresh image. A young girl was standing beside her. She's a new face. I smiled but she kept her dreamy eyes locked at someone, I traced her stare and my heart felt an unfamiliar feeling because she's focused on the seat of somebody located at the fourth row of second column....

Zero.

"Ahem...." in a daze, I shyly smiled at the teacher and left. May mga klase pa akong dapat pasukan kaya naman kinailangan ko nang umalis, anyway, I'm from class 2-2, the ace student in that section. Kaunting effort pa, magiging section one na din ako. Smirk.

Napalingon muli ako ng bahagya sa gawi ni Zero bago pa tuluyang makalayo papunta sa aming seksiyon. A view caught my attention. My brow tensed as a puzzle started to form in my head.