Chapter 6

[ Closer ]

The sunset stained the halls a bright red, signaling the sun to almost settle and bring in the pitch-black surroundings a few minutes from now. The man beside me had his hair combed away, showing his well-chiseled face.

"Wh...hey! It's you again..." I said while trying to calm myself down, "I forgot to ask your name last time, I hope you wouldn't mind, but what's your name?" I proceeded, shocked but thankful that it's not another type of monster or what.

"Oh, I'm Harries Dane Veneracion, sorry last time, I just left an-"

"No, it's okay. You don't really need to say sorry, your help during that time meant a lot, so....you don't really have to be sorry," I said while shaking my head. He's just behind me in class but we never really talked the whole day after the canteen incident. Things just got really surprising, I mean everything about today, except between me and Kiel; the rest is odd.

"You're heading home alone?"  he asked, his hands gracefully emphasizing his words, synchronizing with the cool breeze around us.

"Uhm, yeah. Kiel usually drives me home" I turned my head at the field in a blank stare, "but since he left early, it would just be me. I don't have my driver today, I gave them a day-off, I really don't have a choice. I'll just walk home, it's not a problem because our house is just nearby, in fifteen to twenty minutes, I can manage to reach our house," I said, gesturing with my hand, pointing somewhere to the south, where our home is located.

"I'll walk with you," he stated with a faint, sincere smile."Our house is on that way too," he added, totally vanishing my thought of resisting his offer. I just nodded in reply.

"He's cute......" "Wait, what? C'mon, Zero, you barely know him!" "I just said he's cute; the privilege of noticing that someone is cute doesn't give you the necessity or responsibility to know them thoroughly. It's just a compliment based on the visual; you can say that anytime. You can even call a baby who just came out of the light cute, duh!" the other MEs living inside my head are arguing again.

I shook my head a little to get away with the idea.

"About Kiel, he's famous huh? I can see that based on what happened during our last subject." it seems like he just picked that topic to satisfy questions reiterated by his curiosity. Well, I'll be generous enough to feed him with news scoops about that rooster.

"Yeah, Kiel had always been famous since day one, aside from his good looks that girls really worship. He's also smart. Sometimes, they pick a fight on me just because me and Kiel are inseparably close," I introduced Kiel in that grand way. Even if I don't treat him well upfront, I can brag everything about him as my friend. Honestly, Kiel is really something. However, he's still a rooster. My rooster.

"Where are your parents?" he curiously asked. It took me back to my senses. His dark brown eyes were shaded with red, reflecting the sunset stain.

"Oh....they're away for a short vacation. They're not aware that I granted our house helpers a day off. Why did you ask?" I replied while taking measured steps, our pace harmoniously slow and in unison.