Chapter 2: Homeostasis

I had lost faith in the justice system of the country longer than I could remember.

"I don't care, change seats with Dr. Roque or I will drop this case without second thoughts."

I had lost faith with it since I was a kid.

The whole justice system in my own country is fuck-up.

When they say law is law. That's nothing but bullshit, I might say.

And it literally fucked me up this time.

I don't usually curse but putangina

"Dr. Roque." I snapped when Nikkolo called me. He's already standing, storm in his bubbly face. I look at Chief Valencia and Chief Anastascio na parang inuutusan pa akong lumipat ng upuan kundi tatanggalin nila ang lisensya ko, especially Nikkolo's mother!

I bite the inside of my cheek just so I could stop myself from lashing out. I can feel my face burning on the heat of my irritation that it nearly hurts my epidermis.

Pigil-hininga ko pang ginawa ang pinag-uutos niya. I feel manipulated kahit simpleng upuan lamang iyon. For him to hold up the case against his childish remarks is beyond unprofessional! It's a stupid act!

"Atty. De La Luna, I presume you have some definite knowledge about medicine and surgery. Since you take up some practices and specialties before earning a license to become a medical lawyer." That sound so mocking to me. Sinamaan ko ng tingin si Nikkolo dahil sa tanong niya but I guess hindi niya iyon pinansin. Nikkolo is so mayabang talaga at most times!

"I'm a juris doctor, Dr. Valencia. If you're questioning my capability to handle this lawsuit, you could suggest to the chief physicians in front of you to change me. Hindi ko naman kawalan iyon, Dr. Valencia. I have a long list of clients waiting for my service. I don't need one that doubts me." Hindi ko magawang tignan si Rahim ng sabihin niya iyon. Nikkolo burned on his seats quietly habang ang ina naman niya ay parang nagpipigil sa pagpupuyos sa galit.

Nine years is a long time, and really, it changes him. I know him for being cold and rude and conceited but this? Ruthlessness? I have never seen this side of him. Siguro nga ay mabuting hindi ko na iyon nakita, his memory in my brain's temporal lobe are worst already as I recall those episodic ones. Ayoko ng palalain pa iyon.

"Please start the video." We were about to watch the actual footage of the operation. It's one thing the hospital is good about; they are always ready for the emergencies.

"The man is suffering from a pneumothorax because of a severe penetrating chest injury. For the man's case it is because he had fell on the glass roof of a greenhouse while trying to clean it because of her wife's command." Napangiwi pa ako ng simulan na nila ang operasyon doon sa lalaki. He's a man in his 40's.

"We had to do the surgery immediately. Along the surgery, nothing unusual happened. I even ask the anesthesiologist of the team if there is an unusual signal with the vitals but there is nothing significant there. And suddenly the blood pressure is dropping, we couldn't figure out what happened." Para akong nanigas dahil sa sinabi ni Nikkolo.

There are the odd times that misdiagnosis could occur or sometimes our capabilities couldn't not extend to the needs of the patients, hindi namin kayang dugtungan ang buhay nila. We are doctors, and we're human too, practically capable of mistake because we're not God-tier. But having too commit one is an immortal sin already, dahil buhay ang nakakasalalay at bawal magkamali. It's like our golden rule.

"In order for a Medical Malpractice to be governed under the Civil Law concept of damages. The whole incident, along with the complainant must prove that the doctor inflicted the four element of negligence; duty, breach, injury and proximate causation." Hindi ko mapigilan ang pagtingin kay Rahim ng magsimula siyang magsalita. His matte black optical glasses suit him in the most perfect form. Ang panga niya sa anggulo ko ay sobrang perpekto na akala mo isa iyon sa mga biyaya ng Diyos sa mundong ito. The subtle facial hair on his lower cheeks and his pointed nose. Damn, this side-profile of him. Para akong mahuhulog sa kinauupuan ko.