xviii

Ahsoka POV

Rex and I were riding through the Dune Sea on his speeder. It was a long ride, and for the first part, we sat in silence, just enjoying each other's company for the first time in over six years.

Finally I decided to ask a question that had been nagging at me since I got here. "So Rex, do you know who the Jedi out here is?"

I could see him open his mouth, but hesitate for a second before speaking. "Yes, I know who it is. He actually brought me here to protect him and guide other Jedi to him."

"How'd you know I was a Jedi though? You didn't know it was me, but you still told me you knew where he was."

"Kid, I've been doing this for almost five years now. In my time I've learned how to distinguish between a Jedi and a non-Jedi based on the way they carry themselves. Not to mention the fact that most non-Jedi wouldn't travel this far to see one."

I just nodded. What he said made sense. Who, other than the Empire, would have a reason to come out here just to find a Jedi, unless they were a Jedi themself. 

"You didn't answer my first question though," I said impatiently.

"Actually, I did. Your question was 'do you know who the Jedi out here is?' To which I answered, yes." As he said this I could see a giant smile spread across his face. He just loved to mess with me.

"Well, who is it?" I asked.

"I think it's best you see for yourself," he said giving a smirk. I just crossed my arms and pouted, to which Rex just laughed.

"So Commander, what have you been doing since I last saw you?" Rex asked changing the subject.

I sighed. There was a lot to tell. "Well first of all Rex, I'm not a commander anymore. You can just call me Ahsoka. Second, well it's a long story really. Full of a lot of things i'm not proud of and a lot of things I'm still not over."

Rex nodded. "Well if you don't want to talk about it, then we don't have to. Just know that I'm here if you ever need anything or need to talk... Ahsoka."

I smiled as I heard him say my name, my real name, for the first time ever. "No I think it'll be good for me to talk about everything. I've kinda been running from it all, and maybe talking about it will."

"Alright, well I'm prepared to listen."

I smiled and nodded before beginning. I told him EVERYTHING. The unsent letters to him (it was like drinking venom anytime I said his name), my relationship with Nyx, the fallout with Nyx and the ensuing confrontation with him, my hiding in Onderon, attacking and stealing to help loosen the Empire's grip on Onderon, the battle with the Inquisitor, "and then I came here and was reunited with you," I said a smile finally spreading across my face. "Wow. It felt really good to talk about that. I hadn't realized everything I had bottled up and tried to suppress since then."

"That's quite the adventure Ahsoka, both emotionally and physically." He paused, it looked like there was something he wanted to tell me, but didn't know how.

"Rex, what's wrong?" I asked concerned.

"Ahsoka... I don't know how to tell you this but... Nyx is dead. He died in a fire that burned down his whole house. The reason you were thought to be dead was because people had seen a young togruta living with him. It matched your description to a tee and well, everyone presumed you were dead."

I was shocked. I didn't know how to respond. "I-I..." was all I was able to stutter out. I had so many mixed emotions. I felt bad that Nyx had died, I knew it wasn't my fault, but I felt for some reason if I was there, it wouldn't have happened.