A Link to the Soul

Paul Presley towered over Cassandra Presley with a look of pure hatred toward her. "How could you do this?"

Shocked Cassandra Presley stumbled back and stuttered, "I-it was for her own good."

"No! No it wasn't. It was you're attempted at more power!" Paul yelled at her.

Pushing past his deranged wife, Paul walked with purpose toward the white dragon. Pulling out a large syringe he plunged the syringe into Gwen's chest. Momentary pain erupted from the dragoness as her bones began to crack and contort.

"What did you do?" Newt Scamander questioned eyes widened as he watched his friend go through a painful transformation.

"That serum forces a Mederi to change from the beast back to being a human or human to beast." Paul ground his teeth.

Gwen clutched her chest breathing heavily and aggressively pulled the syringe out. "N-ne-ewt" she choked out, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm not" he said looking toward the ground.

"How?"

"Astral projection wasn't sure if it was going to work." Newt said.

"A bond." Cassandra said pushing forward, "That's why." She bit out.

"What bond?" Gwen asked.

"The bond a Mederi makes with a person is a relationship that is for life whether its voluntary or not; the soul links to another making both Mederi and bond mate in tune with each other." Paul Presley explained. "A Mederi can increase their power with the more links they create with others."

"Well that explains a lot" Gwen trailed off.

"And that's why you've got to break the bond." Cassandra gritted out, "Witches or wizards linked to a Mederi have the ability to control them. That's why the species was created." She bit out.

"Why break a bond?" Gwen asked furrowing her brows.

"Sever the connection with the beast and you'll never be controlled." Cassandra said rubbing her face, "That's what I did to mine."

"The beast..." Newt frowned.

"It all comes down to the linked connection. The beast's soul connects to you which in turn the soul connects to the one the beast can't seem to live without." Cassandra huffed "I've only tried to protect you Gwendolyn." A hint of sincerity slipped through her voice.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Gwen asked.

"You were never ready and the only way it can be done is when the beast is distracted. Which is why I poisoned those dragons." Her mother smirked.

"And yet you tell us no cure!" Gwen growled.

"Why so you can save them." Cass mocked sympathy, "You can't save them all Gwendolyn."

"I can sure try. Newt we're leaving." Gwen huffed out. "Meet me at my apartment."

Newt had been silent until Gwen looked at him and he looked unsure before slowly flickering out leaving just Gwendolyn, Cassandra and Paul Presley all eyeing each other venomously.

"Now that beast boy is gone..." Cassandra lunged toward Gwen and Paul growling.

Gwen pushed her father to the ground out of the way of Cassandra's attack who ended up running into the great oak tree with a loud smack.

"If she killed her beast how come she still has a Nundu's personality?" Gwen groaned.

Paul groaned his face in the grass, "It might be because she lied. She didn't kill the beast she suppressed it."

Cassandra was back up and circling Gwen again, "Come here daughter so I can-"

"Suppressing it," she groaned getting up, "Now you tell me."

Gwen didn't give her time to finish her thought and charged right at her mother throwing her toward the house. If she got Cassandra to tap into her suppressed beast maybe she could reason with her. Cassandra growled and Gwen noticed claws emerging from her fingers.

"You never killed the beast mother!" Gwen snapped, "You only suppressed it. That's why you're so aggressive and mean these days. The connection you once had disappeared creating a feral beast inside."

"You know nothing!" Cassandra screeched, "All the years I did to protect you. Save you! You ungrateful child! I sacrificed myself to save you!!" she lunged again at Gwen.

For the first time in years Cassandra felt the familiar sensation of shifting, but instead of fading away it only got stronger which was impossible she could change is made sure of it when she took that potion. A sudden fear stopped Cassandra mid lunge as fear settled in—she couldn't lose her humanity again. Right before Gwen's eyes her mother's bones cracked, refused and rippled under the skin. And in Cassandra's place a large female Nundu stood in place.

"Mother?" Gwen whispered.

The Nundu glared at her with bright yellow eyes and growled. Gwen cautiously walked toward the beast but a firm hand on her shoulder held her back.

"Don't do it Gwen." Paul said. "She's not in control."

"Why?" Gwen asked confused.

"She suppressed the beast for so long she doesn't have control. The longer separation from the beast the more feral they become."

Gwen faced her Nundu mother and looked directly into her eyes a look she never saw before: fear. Fear streaked across her shiny yellow eyes and the Nundu swiftly turned and sprinted away toward the forest and place where it felt safe. "We have to go after her!" Gwen exclaimed. "She can't stay like that she'll hurt herself or worse someone else!"

Gwen started running toward the forest that is until Paul Presley caught up to her "Don't worry about her I'll take care of it." Her father said glancing at where her mother's retreating path. "besides you have dragons to save."

"How?" Gwen paused, "But I don't have a cure." She shouted toward her father's retreating figure.

"The cure is closer than you think" Paul replied patting his shoulders daughter before striding toward her cousin's slumped figures on the ground.

______________________________________________

A/N:

Hello Readers,

I'm sorta back :) I haven't edited this but I believe its been too long since I've updated and you guys deserve this. We're nearing the end of this book but hopefully in the near future I can crank out chapters for my next book and Gwen's adventure in Fantastic Beasts Crimes of Grindelwald.

Thanks of sticking with me.  Drop a like or comment and I'll see you in the next post.

~Artzymandi16