01 ' starting today

TODAY is the day Amari swore she would finally confess to Sakusa, her crush since middle school. She's prepared to face a blunt rejection, knowing fully well how harsh and direct he is. Nevertheless, Amari figures that getting her feelings out of the way could let her move on.

Amari taps her foot as she stares at the window of the empty classroom, waiting for him to arrive. As she stood, she recalled memories from years ago.

She could vividly remember how her admiration turned love for him started, and she always watched him from afar, on court and within the four walls of the classroom.

It all started in middle school, when he handed her his handkerchief as she cried on his desk. He didn't even want it back, and that part always made her heart flutter. Now that she thought about it, he was probably just trying to get her out of his seat that time and he didn't want to reuse it anymore.

Her overthinking and flashbacks come to an end as she hears the sound of the door sliding, followed by a straight-forward, "You called me? What for?"

"Sakusa-san," she calls his name upon seeing his partially covered face. "I'm sorry if this is such a bother, but I swear this'll take five minutes," she begins blabbering.

"And?" he sighs.

"Sakusa Kiyoomi," she calls him again before taking a deep breath. "I like you a lot. I liked you since middle school," she finally reveals and lowers her head.

"Oh," he responds; she can't tell if it's a good sign or not. Sakusa tilts his head, deciding on how to answer her. She lifts her head after a few moments of silence to check his reaction.

"What?" she asks, her brows raising.

"What? Aren't you supposed to ask me out?" he asks her in a demanding manner. Though half of his face, from his nose to his chin, is covered, his brows knitting expressed clearly his annoyance.

"Couldn't he just reject me right away?" she mumbles before shaking her head. "Please go out with me, Sakusa-san," she says with a nervous smile.

"Okay," he answers.

"Excuse me, what?" she confirms, believing that her ears were deceiving her.

"What?" he asks again.

"Can you repeat that again?" she requests, narrowing her eyes.

"Whatever. I'm going to practice."

"Wait, wait," she continues as she grabs her bag from her desk to her shoulders. Sakusa is already turning around to exit the room and Amari rushed to keep up with him.

"Don't tell me you're watching my practice now," he groans and notices her walk beside him. "Don't you have a club too?"

"What? I do, wait, no, I mean-"

"Just because I'm going out with you doesn't mean you can stick to me like glue," he adds.

"So we are going out?" she asks, her face visibly confused.

"Do you want me to take it back?" he sighs. "I can do tha-"

"No, no, not at all. I like you a lot, Sakusa-san! Starting today, I'll be in your care." she proclaims, her lips curving upwards for a bright smile.

"Uhuh," he hums and lazily glances at her, looking at him full of hopes.