09 ' commoner A

Amari takes a seat right next to him and even moves the chair closer to his, still sticking to him like glue.

Itadakimasu!

She gazes on the various food on the table such as the fried chicken, potatoes, and umeboshi. "Eat up, Amari-san," his father says as she gets some of the chicken.

"Yes, thank you," she responds with a soft smile.

"Well, tell me about the two of you, how did you meet?" his mother asks.

He sighs and looks at Amari, probably a signal for her to just do all the talking in his stead. "We went to the same middle school," she answers.

"Oh, so that's why. And you go to Itachiyama?" his sister continues.

"Yes, that's right."

"So? How did my little brother confess?" she chuckles as she places some food on her plate.

"She confessed," Kiyoomi finally answers.

"Oh? Really? How brave," they comment.

"I've been crushing on him since middle school," she proudly proclaims.

"Wow, that's a long time."

"Yes, it really is," she giggles softly.

"How long have you been dating by the way?" his brother asks.

"Almost a month," he answers in a dead tone before taking a sip of his drink.

after dinner
sakusa residence

Amari handles conversations well, as he expected from her. Given her bright and cheery nature, his family found her easily likeable. After dinner, she volunteers to help with washing the dishes, which his mother refused.

"By the way, Komori-san, can I use the the restroom? Where is it?" she whispers to his cousin while Kiyoomi walks to his room to get something.

"There, uh, walk on the right hall then the door on the end," he instructs her, pointing.

"Thanks," she tells him with a smile before following his directions. There are 2 rooms in total in the hall and Amari tries guessing where Kiyoomi's was. She reaches the end of the hall but hears the nearby door open.

Realizing it was Kiyoomi, she takes a step backward to catch a glimpse of him. "Kiyoomi-san," she calls his name out of habit yet something a little too familiar catches her attention, a newspaper article hung on his wall.

"Kiyoomi-san?" she repeats as he realizes where her eyes are wandering.

He immediately takes a step outside his room and closes the door, quite nervous and mad. "What?" he asks her.

"Was that my article?" she asks him bluntly, a little too direct too. Of course she wasn't able to see the entirety of the article but the artwork along with it gave it away.

"Yes and so what?" he grunts, asking another question.

"Wow."

"Can I see it again?" she requests. "I'll sanitize my hands and, well, I'm clean," she reassures.

A long awkward pause took over, Kiyoomi still deciding if he should let her in now that she knows.

"Please? I won't do anything," she vows.

He scoffs before another word. "Fine," he permits.

"Wait, I'm going to clea-"

"Get inside and lock the door," he demands.

"L-lock the, the, door?" she stutters.

"It's a habit. I don't leave my door unlocked," he clarifies. "But it appears to me you had something else in mind. How perverted of you."

"I, I wasn't!" she hisses and enters his room. She pushes the lock and her eyes survey the meticulously immaculate room. She sees the article again and confirms it to be hers.

"Kiyoomi-san, wow," she mutters and looks down at a framed photo of them on his study table.

"This was the last year of middle school, the school play, right? I was commoner A, you were commoner B," she adds.

"It is," he answers, standing near her.

"This makes me happy," she tells him and glances at him. "I insisted on being commoner A because of you," she chuckles and averts her gaze on the other items neatly organized, his books, pens, and highlighters.

"You really are a neat freak," she giggles and sways her head to see him again but suddenly, she felt his arms wrap around her shoulder, his chest on her back.

"K-Kiyoomi-san?"

"You're clean, right?" he whispers on her ear, his head resting on her shoulders as well.

"Of, of course," she nervously answers with a nod.

"Good," he mutters and tightened his embrace. Amari's mind goes blank as this is one of the rare occasions when he'd make a move. She bites her lips and slowly lifts her hand to hold his arm, returning the embrace.

"Emi-chan," he calls her by her first name. "Yes?" she mumbles and turn around, breaking the hug.

Now facing him at such close distance, she feels her heart race even faster but maintains eye contact with him. The mood just feels right for the two of them and Amari keeps telling herself to go for it. Go for their first kiss.

He looks at her with the same stoic eyes, yet perhaps it becomes a little more tender for her. Without giving it much thought, he gradually crouched to reach her, subtly tilting his head. His face nears hers and she closes her eyes for the next moment.

"Kiyoomi-chan, Motoya-kun's leaving now, would you like to-"

"Damn it," he curses under his breath as he flinches away.

"No, Mom," he answers.

"Okay!"

He sighs at his abrupted almost first kiss and averts his gaze at her, who was surprisingly red and panicky.

"Emi-chan?" he asks, raising a brow.

"Kiyoomi-chan, your aunt just got here, come say hi," the interruption continues, much to their frustration.