Chapter 2: A Regular Day

~Rebecca Walters's Point Of View~

I parked my black Prius in its usual parking spot and I slipped out of my car with my red backpack with black stripes on my right shoulder. I had plastic cup of coffee in my left hand.

Stone Park High was the name of my high school. Maggie Hilton, my best friend was waiting for me at the entrance of the school. She had medium long light brown hair that she always straightened and she always wore the latest fashion styles.

"Hey Maggie." I greeted.

"Hey 'Becca." She said with a pearly beautiful smile.

Becca was my nickname that all my friends called me. She grabbed my arm to hug me and I winced. Maggie's grip on my arm loosened, however she did not let go.

"Did he beat you again?" She asked. "And tell me the truth."

I sighed. "Yes."

I had a light green sweater on, so no one would see my bruises. My stepfather beats me like crazy, especially when he's drunk or mad. It's now a routine and I've had to put up with it, however it's becoming more unbearable. Who knows how much more I can handle.

She pulled the sleeve up to see black and purple bruises. She was taken back once she saw them and I pulled my sleeve back down.

"Don't worry about it." I said hastily.

" 'Becca you can't just stay silent about this. You have to speak up and tell the police." Maggie advised me.

"I know, but what am I suppose to do?" I asked, lowering my voice. "He threatened me not to tell."

At that moment the bell rang. Maggie gave me a sympathetic look. She wanted nothing more than to help me and be free from the clutches of my stepfather.

"Look let's not think about this, we have class now. Let's go." She suggested, dropping the subject.

With that we walked to our history class. The room was filled with posters and pictures throughout the history. Maggie and I sat down next to each other in history class.

Miss Smith was our teacher for history. She was a rather skinny lady with short red hair that ended at the nape of her neck. She was obsessed with history that she would dress up in whatever time period she was currently teaching.

So that day, Miss Smith came in with a bright bedazzled pink princess dress. A couple winced upon seeing her. She didn't know how to put on make-up as well, so she looked like a clown.

She wore too much mascara, too much lipstick, her eye shadow was horrible and there was blush everywhere around her face.

Everyone in the class including me laughed. However it died down when she glared at us. As soon as the bell rang she spoke up.

"Now class today we will be learning about the Middle Ages." She explained. "You all know that in this time period there were kings, knights in shining armor, queens, princesses and so on."

I whispered to Maggie. "Obviously she isn't the fairest of them all."

Maggie giggled as I returned my attention to Miss Smith. Thank God she wasn't looking our way.

"We will also learn about the story of King Arthur." She continued.

My eyes immediately lit up at her words. I don't know why, but I was fond of that myth.

"So King Arthur first began as a peasant, but soon became king. As some of you might know, by pulling the sword that no one else could." She explained. "He along with Merlin, the sorcerer, and the Knights of the Round Table protect Avalon."

"Especially from King Arthur's half-sister, Morgana who is an evil sorceress." She continued.

Maggie tried to get my attention, however I was too concentrated on the story. Then the bell rang and we were dismissed. School went by quickly after that and Maggie and I went our separate ways. I got in my car and I was soon home.

I walked in the house to no one here. I walked into my room and I began to watch television. Mom soon came in and unfortunately so did my stepdad.
I heard screaming and I rushed to the living room to find my mom on the ground.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Nothing dear, we just had a little argument." Mom said, brushing off what appeared to be glass off her pants.

"You stay out of this!" He snapped.

"I won't!" I spat.

He grabbed an empty beer bottle from the kitchen and threw it at me. I ducked just in time to avoid it. My legs were trembling, however I refused to show him that I was afraid of him.

"Now why don't you go back to your room?!" He barked.

That's it! I'm done with the bruises and almost being killed. Mom always tries to reason with me that he isn't that bad. Why can't she kick him out after the thousands of times he beats me almost to death?!

"I've had enough!" I yelled.

With that I ran out the door where I almost got hit by another one of my stepdad's glass beer bottles. I continued to run until I reached our town's forest. I panted as I walked into the forest where I could hear birds chirping. At that moment I heard a faint whisper.

"She's our only hope." It said. "The kingdom lies on her shoulders, she's the chosen one."

"Hello?" I asked.

The whispers grew louder and I followed it to find a blue light near a bush. I didn't know who that voice belonged to, however I couldn't resist to not follow it. All of the sudden tripped on a rock and I fell to the ground hitting my head hard on the ground.

Before I lost consciousness, I saw the blue light slowly come towards me. Then I saw nothing else as the darkness took over my vision.