Chapter 9: The Memory

During dinner all I could think about was the kiss and what Arthur said before he kissed me. Once dinner finished, Arthur spoke up. "Lancelot?"

"Yes, your majesty?" Lancelot asked.

"I want you to help Rebecca with the usual routine we do for the ceremony." Arthur said.

"Of course." Lancelot said, getting up. "Come along Rebecca."

With that I followed him out of the dining hall, unaware that Arthur was watching me the entire time. We finally reached a room which was probably the bathroomby the looks of it. I reluctantly turned to face Lancelot. He's leaving, right?

"You will need to wash up. It is traditional to wash the night before the ceremony." Lancelot explained. "Servants are coming to fill it with water."

With that he left and I closed the door as I entered the room. There were tubs and pots which were probably for doing your business. Ugh, this was nasty. Fortunately the servants arrived and soon filled one of the tubs up with water. A servant came to me with what looked like towels.

"Here are some cloths." She said handing me the towels.

"Thanks." I said.

With that they left and closed the door. I sighed as I put the towels on the ground. After undressing, I got in the bath and washed up. There was soon a knock on the door and the door opened to reveal Lancelot. My eyes widened and I sunk lower in the tub. Lancelot's face turned as red as a tomato.

"I'm sorry." He said as he looked away from me."I thought you were done alright. I'll wait outside."

With that he walked outside, closing the door behind him. I quickly dried myself and I put my clothes on. I put my hair in a ponytail, seeing as it was wet. I walked out to find Lancelot leaning against the wall.

"I'm sorry about earlier." Lancelot said.

"Don't worry, it's alright." I replied with a polite smile.

"Good." He said. "Now follow me."

With that we began to walk and I trailed behind Lancelot as he lead me through the halls. I noticed that we were walking away from my room. Now where are we going? I groaned before asking him. "Now what?"

"Now we are taking you to the church where you must say your prayers before sleeping." Lancelot said.

We left the castle and began our journey to the castle. We passed by villages and fields, which were deserted at this hour, since everyone was in their homes as we walked to the castle I decided to ask something that was on my mind.

"Who was Genevieve?" I asked.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well because this one lord I met in the village the other day told me I looked like her." I explained. "Merlin and his majesty, King Arthur has mentioned her."

"Well, Genevieve was Avalon's queen and the wife of King Arthur." Lancelot explained.

So Arthur use to have a wife. But he looked so young to have a wife, then again I was in the Middle Ages, their customs are different from ours...very different.

"How'd she die?" I asked.

"Morgana killed her." Lancelot said."That woman was furious, she wants the throne back more than anything."

"You do look like her though." Lancelot added, observing me.

"You think?" I asked.

"Yes, only you're more beautiful than her." He said with a smile.

I blushed and I tried to hide it, however Lancelot saw it and smiled. He chuckled as we continue to walk. We soon arrived at the church, it was just outside the farthest village.

"Here we are." He finally said.

I walked in while Lancelot followed behind me. It was a huge church with a high ceiling and a long walkway to the altar with several long pews. There were also a colorful glass mural on top of one of the church walls.

We walked up to the altar and I kneeled. He stood off to the side.

"I'll wait until you finish." He said.

There was an echo as he said his words. While I was saying my prayers, I felt Lancelot's stares. I simply ignored it though. I am a Catholic, but I never went to church once mom married my step-dad. The last time I went to church was before my dad died. I still remember the last day I spent with him...I only was eight years old.

"Higher." I said swinging on the swings.

Daddy was pushing me on the swing in the park near our neighborhood. On every Sunday he would take me to the park, since that was the only day he didn't work.

"I think that's high enough." He said.

"Catch me.! I exclaimed.

"Mission accepted." He said.

I jumped off the swing, shrieking as I fell and just before I could hit the ground, daddy caught me just before I hit the ground.

"Gotcha." He said with a huff.

"I knew you wouldn't let me fall." I said with a smile.

"I would never let you fall." He said, putting me on the ground.

After that, we grabbed ice cream and we sat down on a a brown bench to finish it.

"I keep forgetting that you're getting older." He said with a warm smile."You are getting prettier too."

"Like mommy?" I asked.

"Yes." He said as he looked away. "You're going to be so beautiful that boys are going to fight over wanting you."

"Eww." I said, nearly gagging. "Boys have cooties."

He chuckled as he pulled me into a hug.

"Who's my sunshine?" He asked.

"I am!" I exclaimed.

Tears filled my eyes. Dad how I miss you. I need you more than ever. Why did you have to leave us? I then reluctantly got up and wiped my tears away. "I finished."

With that we walked out the church and as we walked back to the castle, Lancelot spoke up. He looked worried as he asked me the following. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, why?" I asked.

"Well, back at the church it appeared that you were about to cry." He explained.

"It was nothing." I shrugged.

"Are you sure?" He asked. "You can tell me if you'd like."

I guess I could tell him. I wouldn't hurt to. I hadn't told anyone besides my best friend, Maggie. It would be nice to rant off instead of keeping these emotions within me, which will only make me worse.

I sighed."Well I was thinking of my last day with my dad."

"When did he die?"

"When I was only eight." I replied.

"I'm sorry to hear." He said, sincerely.

"No, it's fine." I said, waving it off.

We soon reached the castle and after saying goodnight I went back to my room where I replayed the memory of that last day...the last day my father was with my mom and me.