Chapter 5: The First Day of Training

The next day at the crack of dawn, I heard a knock on my door. Ugh, it's too early. I pulled the covers over my head as the door opened.

"Rebecca it is time for your training." I heard Lancelot's voice.

Why so early? Can't we wait until it's at least eight or nine perhaps? I hate waking up so early. There is nothing they can do to get me to wake up. 

"It's too early." I complained.

The covers were then pulled off to reveal the three knights. My cheeks turned red as Lancelot grinned upon seeing me in my nightgown. Percival whacked Lancelot on the back of his head, causing him to wince.

"Get dressed and we'll see you at the dining hall." Gawain ordered in a cold manner.

With that the three of them left. Well then, what's up with Gawain? What bug bit him? I shook the thought out of my head and I looked around to see a knight outfit on the chair.

I quickly changed into the outfit, which were a red and white tunic with long stockings and boots. As soon as I did, I walked out my room. I was completely lost, the castle was huge. After about thirty minutes, I found the dining hall.

Everyone was talking, however as soon as I entered, they all turned and looked at me. I was embarrassed as I sat down at the table. I can't imagine what must be going through their heads. King Arthur, Merlin, and the three knights were eating here along with the rest of the knights. A servant came over towards me with some toast and a cup of tea which was placed before me.

"Did you have troubles finding your way here?" Lancelot asked.

"Just a little." I merely said.

After that we ate in silence and soon after we were done, I followed the three knights outside where the knights trained. On the tables there were swords, bows, arrows, and several other weapons.

"We will start with a wooden sword." Lancelot informed me.

I picked a wooden sword and Lancelot stood before me with another wooden sword. Alright, I can do this. I mean how hard can this be?

"Now we are going to begin with combat." He explained. "Ready?"

Not really, but I nodded anyways. I raised my wooden sword just like he did. I was unaware that King Arthur came and was watching us. I tried to block each hit, however he was too powerful and it didn't take long for him to hit my side. I felt pain immediately in my side. 

"Ouch!" I cried.

I sucked it up as I continued to fight, however the pain was throbbing. Come on Rebecca, you can do this. I mean sure this isn't easy, but you can do it...no pressure, even if you are the chosen one.After another hit, I fell to the ground. Lancelot placed his sword down and came over to me.

"Are you alright?" He asked helping me up.

"Yes, it's just I'm not good at this." I said with a sigh.

"You'll get better." Percival reassured.

"Yeah once the blue moon comes." Gawain sniggered.

I slumped my shoulders. He's right, I'm not any good. Despite all my pep talks with myself, none of it is actually helping. I don't know why they believe in the chosen one, I barely believe that myself.  

"Gawain, Percival, Lancelot." King Arthur said, walking towards us.

"Your majesty." The four of us said with a bow.

"You three can leave for today." He ordered. "I shall train with her."

His words surprised me. Why would he want to train me? I bet he has better things to do. With that the three knights walked away and I turned to King Arthur. He had serious expression plastered on that handsome face of his.

"Now we will need you to train as much as possible." He informed me.

I'm afraid to ask how much that means I'll have to train. Well, might as well get this over with, right?

"What's first?" I asked.

He then brought out what looked like a wooden dummy and tied it out to one of trees. On the dummy was a circle in the middle that was painted red. What the heck is this?

"This is a quintain." He explained. "The circle indicated where you should hit. You should hit like this."

He gave a strong hit with his sword, which made the dummy swing around in circles. Wow, he's strong! King Arthur then turned around to face me and I gulped, knowing what he was going to ask of me. 

"Now you try." He said, pointing his sword towards the dummy.

I walked up to hit it and I swung the sword right on the target. I felt sweat gather up on my forehead and underneath my armpits. The hit made the dummy swing back and straight back towards me. It pushed me to the ground and my sword fell right next to me.

"Are you alright?" He asked, sounding concerned.

"Yes." I merely said, avoiding his gaze.

I glanced up to see a hand extended out towards me. I reluctantly took it and he helped me up, giving me my sword as he helped me. He's going to laugh at me pretty soon once he realizes that I'm useless.

"That was a good hit." He assured.

"Thanks." I said, forcing a smile.

He's only trying to cheer me up, it's not like I actually did well. Are you kidding me? I did terrible, way worse than anything you could imagine. How am I the chosen one? There are knights here who are far more skilled and advanced than I could possibly be, and yet I manage to be the chosen one.

"Now." He said, clasping his hands. "I think that is all for today."

"Alright." I said.

He merely nodded and he turned around to leave. When he was about to walk back in the castle, I called out to him. This would be a perfect chance to wander around the kingdom and who knows whether I'll stay here forever or not.

"Your majesty? I was wondering if I could look around the town." I said.

He turned around. "You mean the village near the castle?"

"Yes." I said with a nod.

He thought for a moment and sighed. "Very well, just be back before dusk for dinner."

"Yes, your majesty." I said with a slight bow.

"And whatever you do don't enter the forest." He added.

His eyes locked with mine and his expression was one I couldn't make out. When I said nothing else he walked back into the castle and I made my way to the village. Why would he say not to enter the forest? What's in there?