Mr. Right? | 24

KAIRO 

The days flew by so quickly, and I'd spent most of my time in my room practicing trigonometry. I'd even spent my free time updating the report project I'd prepared on said topic, and when I was satisfied with how it turned out, I contemplated whether I should ask Alexander to proofread it for me or not. 

Then I realized that I was depending on him way too much - and we'd made a deal after all, so I should just do my part instead of bothering him all the damn time. So, I read the report myself a few hundred times and when I was sure that it was presentable enough, I printed it out and took it to school the next day so I could submit it. 

Surprisingly, Alexander was absent that day. He hadn't been showing up to school often the past few days and I had been growing worried which was why I'd occasionally text him and he'd assure me that everything was fine and I should just focus on myself for the time-being. 

When I submitted my report, Ethan did comment on how this was the most dedicated he had seen me in his entire existence. Turns out, he hadn't even started his project. His partner and him were too busy playing Animal Crossing instead of working on the project, and for that purpose the both of them were given an F.

Currently, the boys and I, excluding Alexander of course, were seated in our usual spot during recess with Ethan complaining about how his ass was too flat and with Austin flaunting his 'thick' ass, and if I must say so myself, he definitely was packing some cake back there. In my opinion, he had two beach balls for an ass. 

Chill, it's normal to check out your homies' asses. It's the vibe check but for the ass, remember?

"I wonder where Alexander is," I said with a sigh. "I hope everything's okay back at home. I'm so worried about him."

"He said he was busy with something," Nick shrugged. "If something was bothering him, I'm sure he would tell you about it. Don't stress yourself out by overthinking it."

"I can't help it," I complained. "Not knowing whether he's okay or not is driving me insane and I have no idea why."

"It's called having a crush, genius," Ethan interrupted. "Guys, I'm telling you he has feelings for Alex. He legit has heart eyes every single fucking time Alex sends him a message and if it doesn't stop, I'm going to scoop his eyeballs out with my bare hands."

"Oh shut up, I'm straight," I reminded him, but to be truthful, I was growing kind of doubtful over that statement myself. I was something, but I definitely wasn't straight. I just didn't want to admit it. I was too scared to admit it - and I was unsure of what I actually was, as well. Was I gay? Was I bisexual? Pansexual, maybe? God only knows. But I know a straight man's heart wouldn't flutter everytime his homie sends him a text. 

"You're straight?" Austin gasped. "Bro, nobody named Kairo is straight."

A crowd of chills danced down my spine once he had said that because it reminded me greatly of what had happened with Alexander the first time we had spoken to each other. I felt my cheeks growing red at that recollection and I cleared my throat awkwardly, "Let's talk about something else."

"And that, my friends," Ethan began, clasping his hands together. "Is what we call a panicked gay."

"In all seriousness though," Nick began, cracking his knuckles. "If you're into dudes, we wouldn't mind at all. I'm secretly into Austin."

"Huh?" Austin questioned, looking over at Nick in confusion. 

"I'm kidding you nugget brain," Nick scoffed before looking back at me. "Just don't hide your feelings is what I'm trying to say. If you like Alexander then just accept it. There's no use lying to yourself about it."

I sunk in my seat at all the attention I was getting, "I'm straight."

"Alright then, if you insist, Kairo Alden," Austin responded, adding an unnecessary amount of emphasis on my name. 

"You know what? You're right. Who names a straight guy Kairo Alden?" Nick asked, raising his brows. 

"Oh shut up," I whined, hurling a plastic spoon over at them. "Let's talk about something else."

"Alright, hetero," Ethan chuckled before changing the topic. 

I couldn't focus on a word they said after that. I was left thinking about what they had said earlier. If it was true that I wasn't straight, then why was I having such a hard time admitting it? And why does being in Alexander's presence make me feel so.. strange?

I let out a heavy sigh. 

Perhaps some questions are better off unanswered.