Little Mary's

The bells at the corridor of Little Mary's rang. It was now seven. When the bells ring at seven in the evening, everyone should get inside their dormitories. Everyone ran towards the little door of the big house. It was not quite a house, even though it looked like one. Children didn't get the feeling of being in their own home. Well, most of them didn't know what it was like to have a family or a home. Most of them were abandoned just after they were born.

Fifty seven girls along with a maid and the principal lived there. Girls of age six to seventeen. When they turn eighteen, they are sent out to live their life the way they want. After a girl goes out of little Mary's, the authorities doesn't have any responsibility over them. Each and every girl living there dreams of that day to come except, Astrid Blu.

Astrid Blu is currently attending her chemistry class at school. She is a fifteen year old with a fifty year old heart. Highly responsible and quite tall for her age. She never fits in anywhere. She hardly talked to anyone at Little Mary's. Everyone looks at her as if she was an alien or something.

Well, that poor girl didn't have a nice childhood. Her mother died giving birth to her. Her father died when she was only three years old. After that she was raised by her Grandmother who was not at all caring. She blamed Astrid for the death of her mother. She would make Astrid believe that she was up to no good. Her Grandmother almost killed her through mental harassment, when the authorities found out about poor Astrid. She was eleven at that time. Since then she has a weak smile on her pale, lifeless face.

She never really talks to anyone. If someone tries to talk, she simply avoids them. Well, most people don't. As a matter of fact.

Everyone has to get back to the house before seven but Astrid never does that. She likes wandering around and discovering new places in the neighborhood.

***
I

In the dark alley, a girl in her teens was walking with her head low with a backpack on her back. Her body clad in blue jeans and an orange sweatshirt. Her long red silky hair tied into a pony tail, was swaying to and fro. Her eyes, which were quite big for her face, had the prettiest blue with a hint of ivory. Her freckles were clear on her pale face. Her face looked as if she had never laughed in her entire life. Her mind is wandering somewhere as there was a tiny little frown between her eyebrows.

Her mind started flooding with the same unanswered questions that haunts her, every night. Why did my parents die? Why am I so miserable? Did my mom die because of me? She died giving birth to me. But I was just a baby. Maybe, my Grandmother was right. Maybe, I am the reason why my mother died. When my birthday comes I don't really know whether to be happy or sad. Grandmother would totally forget the fact that my mother's death day is my birthday. So she would spend all day crying, and asking God, why such a miserable day had to be come? Who wouldn't? But why did she blame me for my Father's death too. I don't even know how he died. I remember asking my Grandmother and feeling a slap on my face. Maybe I am miserable. No wonder no one talks to me.

Her hands automatically trailed up to the single chain she wore on her neck with a piece of mirror as its locket. It was her mother's. Her dad gave it to her on her 2nd birthday. She still remember him telling her to keep it close forever with a few tears dripping down from his eyes. Since them she had that. It was the only piece of jewelry she owned. Whenever she was confused she would touch it unknowingly and that somehow seemed to calm her thoughts down.

She was getting nearer and nearer to the gates of Little Mary's. Almost everyone was inside their dormitories as it was past 7. She slowly walked towards her dorm. Suddenly a voice came out of nowhere startling her.

"Astrid Blu, how many times do we have to tell you that you should get inside your dormitory exactly at 7. Why are you always late?"

It was none other than Miss Annie, the warden of Little Mary's. She was a tall, slim lady with a long thin nose and small eyes. She had blonde wavy hair that was always tied into a big bun. She used to wear pink dress and pink high heels. She always carried a bunch of files in her left hand. And has a small voice almost impossible to hear.

"Sorry Miss Annie, there was um there was... Eh this announcement...." Astrid mumbled

"An announcement that lasted for half an hour. Don't play with me Astrid. This should be the last time you do this. Don't repeat it or you'll have to face the consequences. Off you go now".

"Yes ma'am" Astrid said with her head hanging low. She wasn't sure if it was possible. Every time she goes to explore new places, she loses track of the time, which flows faster than usual. Guess she'll have to stop that habit of roaming around. Even though it was the only thing she wanted to do.

With that said, she goes into her dorm.

*******

Miss Annie walked towards the room of Mrs Belmont. Mary Belmont, the owner and supervisor of Little Mary's. She was a 60 year old lady. Fat and plump. Her hair was starting to turn gray. She wore a round shaped spectacles on the tip of her nose. She seemed to always have a happy face on.

"This is exhausting, Miss Belmont" said Miss Annie. Frustration clear in her voice."Astrid Blu, we have to do something about her. She is always late. I guess she went somewhere unknown just like last time".

"Calm down Annie. You know about that poor thing, don't you? Mrs Belmont said in her most relaxed voice.

" But still, she can't grow up like this. She is 15 now. We tried our best to make her happy like everyone else in here for almost 4 years. And what happened. Nothing." Her voice was already shaking.

"We can't change her past, now can we? Listen to me, Annie. A person's life depends on his past and future. But, we have to forget both and live in the moment called 'now'. If she can't get over her past, there is nothing we can do about her, but we can prepare her for the future. And that's exactly what we are doing, aren't we?"

The lady in front of her is starting to relax slowly.

"Now relax and go to bed. Everything will be fine" Mrs Belmont concluded.
"Hmm poor thing. Don't know why all this happened to her at such a small age. Then off I go. Goodnight, Mrs Belmont" with that said, Miss Annie walks out of the room leaving the older lady alone.

" Times do change, and we won't even know" Mrs Belmont told herself and walked towards the large round mirror with broad frameworks. She smiled to the reflection of her own wrinkled face.

***