Missing Necklace

Astrid tried to remember the last time it was on her. The last day she saw it when she placed the locket on the missing piece on the mirror at Little Mary's, like solving jigsaw puzzle. Sitting up suddenly, she searched for the small piece of ornament on the bed. She clearly knew that it wouldn't be there. But, her panicked mind is  occupied with the thoughts of finding the necklace.

She sat straight after coming back to her right mind. The necklace was gone the moment she came here. Is it still in Little Mary's? Or is it here in Blue Haven? What if it's in the lake? What if it's gone forever?

Astrid can't believe that she carelessly let such an important part of her get lost. It was her mother's. The only thing Astrid had to connect with her mother. The only thing that gave her the sense of comfort in the sleepless nights spend in the cold bed sheets at Little Mary's. It was all she had, to label as hers. Her only possession. How come she never even noticed the necklace missing on her neck? Was she that much distracted by all the things happened here or did she feel like she didn't need that tiny comfort provider anymore.

Astrid felt horrible. She never thought she would ever lose something so special to her. She sat there for more than ten minutes, thinking of all the possibilities through which she could get her necklace back.

She probably lost it in the forest.

Maybe the lake?

She needs to go and tell Arthur about it. He can't help but feel as if the necklace has something important to do with everything that's happening.

It all started with it. The broken piece that was part of the mirror through which she fell. It was like a key to blue haven.

Key...

Maybe all this time what she needed was the necklace. The key.

All these make sense. Astrid stood up as everything came rushing into her mind.

When she fixed the locket into the mirror it opened up the portal. She remembered her failed attempt at trying to get back to earth through the mirror in the palace, on the first day of her stay. It failed because she had already lost the necklace. The key to the portal.

Astrid didn't think twice and rushed towards the door to get out of the room. But, stopped.

But, then how did Helena get here without the necklace? Or was it hers?

Her father told her it was her mother's. Did it belong to Helena first. Wait, Helena and her mother knew each other?

Her stressed mind filled with endless possibilities about the situation. Her fingers slowly rubbed her temples in a hope of relieving the slight ache that happened due to over thinking.

Even though she doesn't really understand everything right, she doesn't feel too oblivious about everything anymore. The answers are all right in front of her. She just has to solve the puzzle.

For now, getting the necklace back was her main priority. She had to tell Arthur about the necklace, first thing in the morning.

All she can do right now is to wait for the sun to rise.

Astrid took a deep breath and sat at the edge of her bed. Her palms gripping at the soft silk bed sheets as she thinks about anything and everything. The single candle which was lit on the bed table, placed near Helena's journal, slowly dies down.

All night, she sat there thinking everything over and over again, trying her best to understand everything happening. She didn't realize when the sun rose up and the next moment a knock hits on the door of her room. Astrid quickly opened the door expecting Arthur to be standing there in his crisp tuxedo as usual. But today, someone totally unexpected came to wake her up.

Arthur's mother.

Astrid stepped back after opening the door. Arthur's mother stood at the door with a tight lipped smile on her face. It was odd seeing a face other than Arthur's at the start of a day.

"Good morning, dear." The lady spoke in an authoritative tone.

"Yes. Good morning, Mrs Rosenheim." Astrid replied back, quickly. She actually wanted to hurry over whatever conversation that is going to happen between them, so that she can go and tell Arthur about the necklace.

The tall lady in a cream coloured gown stepped into the room taking a good look around.

"So, do you feel comfortable enough in here?" She spoke as she gently sat down on the messy bed.

Okay. The lady was actually here for a long conversation, which Astrid had no time to give to. Her body is not staying still as all she wanted right now is to run out of the room.

If it was a normal day, where she didn't have the information about the necklace in her mind, she would have been intimidated by the grand lady in front of her. Right now, she had too much on her mind, that she didn't have it in her to be nervous right now.

"Yes, it's nice in here." Astrid blurted out, as she stood near the door, still holding onto the knob of the door.

Mrs Rosenheim let's out a gentle laugh.

"Of course." She turned her head towards the opened book on the bed table. Helena's journal.

She shouldn't see that.

"Oh, you like reading book?" She asked.

Play along.

"Yes, I love reading." Astrid smiled after saying.

Thankfully, she did not ask anything about the book and just stood up. The lady took short and slow steps towards the slightly shorter Astrid.

"It seems like you are not very talkative. Opposite of how Arthur is." She softly mumbled.

Astrid looked up at the older woman's face. She had a smirk on her face. Now, Astrid's full attention was on the lady. It felt as if the lady was trying to make Astrid feel inferior by standing straight and tall in front of her.

Astrid took a step back.

"I..I have to go. It was nice meeting you."  Astrid said as she took a few steps backwards. She quickly turned around and got out of the room, leaving the older woman alone in the room.

****