Proven Wrong

Astrid was speechless. She still couldn't digest the things that happened right in front of her eyes. What did just happen? Arthur just created a ball of fire and threw it to the sky, which later became crystal dust rain. Wow. Is she hallucinating? How is it even possible? And who is he anyway? We don't see people doing that everyday. Was he some kind of  a wizard? Questions were popping non-stop into her mind. Astrid said nothing, but stared at the boy blankly, with her mouth slightly parted. Her big blue eyes were already out of the sockets.

The boy just laughs.

"I can show that once more, if you want" he says. A smile still creeping on his face.

Once more? Yeah like that's ever going to happen. So magic is real. Like really real. How is that even possible? And she is clearly embarrassed as she was the one who said magic was not real. Now here she is, standing with her mouth wide open, after getting proven wrong by the boy. First, she came to an unknown place through a freaking mirror, then learns that it's not on earth, then gets proven wrong that magic is freaking real. Can it get any better?

"Uh....what...was that?" Was all she could mumble after all of that.

"That was a fire ball. It is the first thing taught to everyone. It's basic" he says, before rolling his sleeves down.

Wait. Magic is taught!!

"How did you do it?"

" It's not anything big. You simply concentrate and then you have to picture it clearly in your mind and it just...happens. It's purely imagination. People who have great imagination becomes great wizards." He says, as if everything happening is quite normal.

And that's it. You just imagine a fire ball and it just suddenly comes to your hands.

"So, can anyone do it?" Even Astrid doesn't know why she suddenly asked that. She doesn't want to do that. It just unintentionally went out of her mouth.

"Uh no." He starts to explain. " Not everyone can do that. People who belongs here, in Blue Haven can do that." He doesn't stop there. "We are taught to do magic when we are young. Blue Haven is all about magic, after all. Everyone goes to learn magic till we turn 10. It's a law. Everyone has to go. Then we can choose whatever career we want. Some people continue in magic." He stops to take a deep breath and them starts again.

"I didn't. I had to go with my family business just like my family." He somehow seems to not like that. He looks at his feet and back at her.

He suddenly replaces his expression with a happy and proud smile.

"So I actually did prove you wrong, didn't I?" His smug smile comes onto his face, destroying the whole mood.

Astrid replied with a blank expression, still trying hard to digest all the things that just happened not even a minute ago. It was also embarrassing for her to still try and convince him that magic is illogical, when this whole 'fire ball' thing happened right in front of her eyes. She wanted nothing but to escape from this situation right now. She was playing with her fingers, trying to come up with something that would avoid this embarrassing situation. Her long fingers played with each other while her mind was coming up with ideas.

"What is your family business?" Astrid was glad at herself for coming up with something that could definitely help her. The boy was now walking inside towards the great hall. Astrid followed him inside, just like how she followed him outside, making no noise when her feet tapped against the wooded floor as she is still barefoot. The boy looked downwards and finally notices that Astrid is barefoot. He smiles to himself, while Astrid is concentrating on the beautiful portraits once again. Her eyes coming to meet the portrait of the boy's family, once again.