Chapter 23 - Elias

I attempted to turn around and run back into the populated area of the Shadowclaw pack grounds, but I couldn't bring myself to do so as I looked into the eyes of a tall man behind a tree. Practically camouflaged by the forest around him, I only noticed him by his voice and his movements when he began to step away from the tree.

We looked at each other, and I observed every move that he made with caution and slight fear. After taking a few steps out from behind the tree, the shadows lifted from his figure and revealed a relatively attractive face with chiseled features. Still, I hesitated, taking a step back as the man began to step towards me. He put his hands up cautiously.

"It's ok," He said softly. "I won't hurt you."

I took a last step back and then froze in place, making him stop moving as well. He put his arms down and we looked at each other.

"W-Who are you?" I asked, ready to make a run for it if I needed to.

"My name is Ryland," he answered smoothly.

Ryland looked a few years older than me and had brown, tousled hair that looked soft to the touch. His limpid icy blue eyes gave him a confident yet naturally dominating appearance. Similar to head beta Xander, Ryland had a few piercings and had many tattoos that stemmed from his neck and travelled all the way down to his fingers.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"E-Elias," I answered hesitantly.

He took a step closer to me and this time I didn't move backwards. I felt frozen in place by his unwavering gaze, and I gulped because of his intensity. He smirked in amusement.

"Don't be so flustered, Elias," Ryland whispered playfully, grazing my arm enough to give me goosebumps and make my cheeks flush.

I frowned slightly, still nervous and cautious around this mysterious guy. "W-What do you want from me?" I ask him honestly. "And why aren't you coming onto the pack grounds?"

His little smirk dropped and his gaze seemed to become more intense, if that were even possible. "I'm not a part of the Shadowclaw pack," he answered plainly. "I don't think the head alpha and head beta would appreciate it if an outsider snuck into their territory. After all, they make it pretty damn clear that they don't like rogues."

My breath hitched at his words. Aspen and Luca mentioned rogues when they were telling me about the werewolf world. They mentioned that Luca was technically a rogue for a while, but how typical rogues either left their packs on their own accord to wreak havoc or were banished from their packs because of their wild, violent nature. Either way, it was evident that rogues were not to be associated with, especially by a human like me who was physically weaker compared to werewolves.

I turned around in an attempt to escape from this situation while I still could. Before I could even manage a step, Ryland grabbed my wrist tightly, yanking me a bit and making me face him. His voice deepened, a low rumble in his throat. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

My eyes widened in fear and I internally whimpered. Still, I tried to pull away. Once his grip released from my aching wrist, I knew not to run away. He looked at me as if trying to read me based off of my outward appearance, making me feel self-conscious and exposed, as if his straightforward gaze was unravelling me to my very core.

"You're not from here, are you?" He asked after a moment, little fluctuation in his voice.

I didn't know how to answer. I wasn't supposed to say that I wasn't a werewolf to anyone, so wouldn't it seem suspicious if he knew I wasn't from this pack in the first place? I guess my silence and hesitation were enough, as Ryland scoffed and began to speak once more.

"How the hell did you get here? I've tried many times to enter this territory, only to be turned away by those bastard wolves on the border," He said bitterly, and when I didn't answer his voice deepened again. "Where did you fucking come from?"

I couldn't resist answering at the authority in his voice, sending waves of fear and inferiority through me that I couldn't shake off. "T-Timbers Cross," I answered quietly.

He averted his gaze in thought. "Ah, that little district across the way. The Shadowclaw pack doesn't even own that place anymore. So, I'm still wondering how you got here."

Ryland's demeanor had completely changed from how it was in the beginning. His playful arrogance was only a front that covered his true menacing nature. His eyes went from bright and clear to narrowed and icy in mere seconds. The most terrifying part of it all was that his intimidation made me want to cower under him, too afraid to run away.

"I-It's not important," I muttered boldly.

Ryland grimaced and grabbed my chin, forcing me to look up at him. "Watch your fucking mouth," he snarled, making my eyes water while I squeezed them shut in fear.

Before he could do anything else to me, we both heard sounds from behind me. We realized that they were voices nearby inside of the pack grounds. Quickly, Ryland released my chin from his grip and I stumbled back. I looked at the sky, realizing it was nearly nightfall. I stepped back from Ryland and began to run away, not looking back. As I ran, I heard his voice calling to me.

"I'll be here around this time tomorrow evening," He said calmly, annoyance and authority lacing his tone. "I would come if I were you."

✩。:*•.─────  ❁ ❁  ─────.•*:。✩

The rogue has finally been introduced... how do you guys like Ryland? Personally, I don't really like writing villains but you gotta put your characters through hell sometimes. Poor Elias doesn't deserve this, I'm sorry baby ♡ If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote and comment your thoughts! Thanks for reading ♡ - D