Chapter 49 - Felix

As much as I kept a stoic appearance around everyone, I was more than grateful that Xander was ok. Just because he was the head warrior of the pack and had suffered similar injuries before didn't make me any less worried about his condition, but it was relieving to see him healing at a quick rate.

Xander mostly stayed in his room during his first few days out of the infirmary to rest his ribs and limbs as they finished healing. I visited him often, talking with him and making sure that he was comfortable. I knew that he hated being cooped up all day, but it was Xander's damn fault for not letting me step in when that rogue nearly bit his head off.

"That was my fucking fight and you know it," Xander said passionately, his brows furrowed slightly. "If your mate's life was threatened by some bastard rogue I know damn well you wouldn't want me to step in when you fought them."

"You're right," I sighed."I wouldn't, but you could have died, Xander. We were quick at getting you back to the infirmary, but you had a lot of blood loss. You were being... careless."

"I can't explain what came over me." His jaw set as he gathered his thoughts. "It's fucking strange, Felix. You saw how antsy I was before we even got word of where Elias and the rogue were. When we did get there and I locked eyes on that fucking bastard, I wanted to rip him to shreds. Even when he matched my strength, my adrenaline kept me going. I'm the head warrior, for fuck's sake. You know I usually think with my head, but it felt like I was going feral."

I looked at Xander as he explained his recounts. "I know. That's why it was so scary to watch you. I didn't think you would stop until you mutilated him."

"Fuck, this is so different than I thought it would be," Xander groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"What is?"

"Having a mate. When I fought Ryland, Elias was obviously the reason I did it. But, my rage was higher than it's ever been, and Elias hadn't even told us about the shit Ryland did until after it was all over. When Elias recognized me in my wolf form after the fight was over, I could've fucking died of happiness then and there."

Watching Xander as he spoke was usually amusing, but seeing him talk about Elias with such fervor brought a warm feeling to my chest. It reminded me of before, when Xander first found out that Elias was his mate. Even though I was more than happy for him, I couldn't help but feel a tinge of envy.

Being head alpha of such a large pack came with many responsibilities and stresses. It hadn't been that long, but I was at a point where I wanted a mate. No, I needed one. I needed someone who I could come to after a long day, someone who would love me for me. And I would love them, play with their hair, pepper their face with kisses and worship their body like there was no tomorrow.

"What is it like," I inquired, "to touch your mate after the first time?"

I already knew that the first touch shared between mates felt like a spark at the connection that radiated throughout the entire body, but I didn't know if anything after that initial touch was more than ordinary.

"Fuck, Felix. It's not as shocking as the first touch, but it's just as fucking satisfying. It feels warm or something, so comfortable and... right. Shit, stop asking me gushy questions."

I lightly chuckled. "Stop giving me gushy answers."

Xander punched my arm jokingly and scoffed. "I can't fucking wait until you find your mate. Then you can stop asking me all this shit and see for yourself how hard it is to explain what you're feeling."

I can't wait, either. "When do you think it could be?"

"I have no idea. I didn't expect to find my mate when I did, if ever. They'll come around soon enough. The Moon Goddess rarely seems to fail, and I highly doubt that she would leave the head alpha without a mate."

"Yeah, I hope you're right."

After a while, Xander got irritated since it was his last day of resting in bed like the doctor at the infirmary recommended. As we kept talking, I started to notice his responses become monosyllabic. His head lay slumped against the headboard and his eyes started to close, his chest rising and falling in lengthy increments as sleep consumed him. When he was finally able to drift to sleep and take a nap, I quietly left his room and headed downstairs and out of the building.

I didn't know how to spend the rest of my day, but I naturally headed towards the training grounds to see how the warriors were holding up without their head warrior to keep them in check. Once I got there, I was surprised to see Aspen training, her eyes filled with a burning determination that rivaled her fiery hair. Not wanting to interrupt her and the other warriors hard at work, I walked away from the fields and left them to their training.

Not wanting to go back to the pack headquarters just yet, I strolled around town in search for something else to do. As I turned a corner, I felt a pang against my chest and looked down to see that I had bumped into someone who was just as stunned.

"Sorry, I didn't realize I'd turned the corner so sharp."

With a grimace already starting to form on my face at my recognition of the voice, I looked down to see a girl with long, blonde hair and an irritating smirk. Before I could avoid this unwanted situation she took a step forward, grazing my arm and continuing to speak.

"Hey, Felix. Long time no see."

"Violet," I responded in annoyance, her name leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. "It's been a while."

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

I meant to post this earlier today but my Internet was being wonky; better late than never! More importantly, Felix is longing for a mate again... and who could this Violet be? 👀 If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote and comment what you think will happen next! - D ♡