Chapter 26 - Elias

Luca and I sat for hours watching the warriors train, occasionally chatting with Aspen when she came to sit on the bench with us during her water breaks. I had been in my negative headspace nearly all day and it didn't help that the time was nearing for me to go see Ryland again. I noticed the sky shifting from a rich cerulean to deep oranges and purples, and I decided that it was time for me to leave.

"Um, I'm kind of tired, so I'm going to go now," I said, hoping Aspen and Luca would believe my white lie.

"Me too, actually," Luca said and stretched his arms out. "Let's g—"

"N-No," I responded, trying not to panic. "I'm, um, going to the library."

"That's boring! Both of you are so boring," Aspen said, closing her water bottle. "I have to admit, I've been slacking lately so I'm going to have to stay a bit longer and keep training. It shouldn't be more than an hour though."

"You should stay, Luca. I'm going to go." As subtly as I could, I gave him a look that said, "Don't come with me."

"Ok." His brows furrowed in skepticism. "I'll see you later, then."

I left promptly, nearly jogging off of the training grounds as I made my way to the edge of the territory where Ryland would be waiting. As much as it terrified me to see him again, I was even more afraid of being late and having to face his temper right off the bat. I walked around for a few blocks, trying to remember the way when I saw the street where the library was and used it as a checkpoint.

There were a few people around but none of them seemed to go near the edge of the territory, so I guess it was improbable that Ryland be spotted. Still, I feared what would happen if I was seen associating with him. Before I could muster the thought, I had made it to the end of the Shadowclaw pack territory where the stone streets merged with the untamed forest.

I looked around for a moment, thinking that I might've gotten here first. When I turned back towards the forest, I was greeted by Ryland who strode over to me with a small smirk.

"You're early," he said amusedly. "Miss me that much?"

He reached for my hand but I reflexively moved it behind me. He scoffed and tilted his head.

"Don't tell me you're trying to grow a backbone."

I averted my gaze and looked at the ground, my voice a mere whisper. "W-What do you want?"

"Straight to the point, I see." He grabbed my chin and turned it so that I looked him directly in the eyes, making me gulp. "You're going to get me information on the head alpha."

What?

"What do you mean?" My eyes widened at his bold demand. "Why do you want me to do something like that? It's wrong, and I'm not even close to hi—"

Ryland glared at me, his voice deepening and his canines threatening to elongate. "This isn't up for discussion, runt. I've been around here much longer than you have. You think I haven't been observing everything I can about this fucking territory? And if you haven't gotten friendly with the alpha by now, I'll just help you by speeding up the process."

Just what had I gotten myself into? Ryland wanted me to secretly get more information on Felix, and I couldn't be more concerned about why. No matter the reason, it was clear he was trying to stir up an immense amount of trouble. I couldn't do something like that, something so rogue. Maybe he was right, maybe I did need to try growing a backbone.

"No," I mustered. "I-I won't do something like that."

By the time I'd gotten the last syllable out of my mouth, Ryland had backhanded my face, leaving me stunned. My eyes watered and my cheek throbbed as the force left my head turned to the side.

"Don't fucking test me," He growled. "If you're going to be so damn stubborn, then why don't I give you an incentive?"

I trembled, but still tried to stand my ground. "Whatever you're going to try and offer, I don't want it."

He paused for a moment, his eyes turning dark. "Oh, so you don't want your parents to live another day?"

"What?" I panicked immediately at the threat, my breathing getting faster and shallower by the second.

"I did some quick research after we met yesterday," Ryland said nonchalantly. "Went to Timbers Cross and tried to find out about your life there."

Even for a rogue like him, I felt it hard to believe that he would go to such lengths to dig up information on me. Maybe he was just bluffing and trying to coerce me. I'd hoped that was the case.

"There wasn't too much I could find, so I guess you're a bit lucky. They miss you at the clinic, though."

My eyes widened. Ryland wasn't lying. I knew now that he wasn't lying about killing my parents if I didn't comply, either.

"Oh, and your parents miss you too, of course, since you ran away a little while back." He smiled darkly, obviously amused at my distress. "It didn't take long for me to see a poster of a missing boy around town. And—get this—he looked just like you. Isn't that a coincidence?"

He was sadistic, enjoying every minute of having the advantage of blackmailing me. Tears threatened to spill, though I couldn't discern whether they were from frustration or helplessness. With my parents' lives on the line, even though they weren't the best, I had to do what Ryland asked of me.

"Since you understand the consequences of not doing what I'm telling you," He spoke darkly, "I'll give you the specifics. Find out every crucial thing you can about the Shadowclaw pack and the head alpha. Do whatever the fuck you need to. Sleep with him, drug him, whatever you need to do to get what I fucking want. You understand?"

I nodded, and he continued.

"If you come back with shitty information or it isn't enough, I'll hurt you more than I will your parents, and I'll make sure you're still alive to feel the pain."

He turned around and began to walk back into the woods. "You have three days."

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Oh my goodness guys!! My Mate's Touch is almost at 10K reads!! Thank you all so much for your continuous support, it means more to me than you could ever begin to imagine ♡

Meanwhile, Elias is faced with a difficult task. Will he manage it, or will he break? If you're enjoying the story so far, please leave a vote and comment your thoughts! I love to read them ♡ - D