• TWENTY-FOUR •

Cedric felt weird. He felt faint, and everything was dark. He was completely aware and able to listen on what's going on around him, he realizes that it's dark as his eyes were closed. He willed himself not to move as he's realized he had almost been killed. He could hear Harry's screams of pain, he knew he had to help, but if he tried, he'd immediately just be killed, for real this time. Cedric had his eyes closed, but he felt warm tears trickle down his cheeks. He had written his name for the chance of what was said to be eternal glory. There was nothing in the rules about being thrown Unforgivable curses at. Who was this monster that had decided to bring himself to the final task? What did he want? In the moment of Cedric's silent pondering, the watery eyed man who tried to kill him spoke up. Harry was still crying out in pain, protesting against whatever the man was doing to him. Cedric wanted to move, he swallowed his pride and tried to scramble up to his feet but to no avail. It was physically impossible for him to move, he couldn't even open his eyes. He was left with no choice but to stay frozen on the ground, and to listen to whatever was going on in the graveyard. As he stayed motionless even longer, he realized he didn't even actually know if he was standing or not. Was he dead?

    "Bone of the father, unwillingly given," It was then when Cedric had realized that there was the sound of fire crackling, when the said bone fell in what sounded like a cauldron. "flesh of the servant, willingly sacrificed" The man let out a yell of agony, Cedric had guessed that he'd mutilated himself. "Blood of the enemy, forcibly taken." He said at once, Harry crying out in pain once more. Cedric couldn't even squirm in discomfort as the sounds of the entire scene unraveling was more than unsettling. He wanted to think that this was all a joke, a sick joke in the final task so that when it was over, they'd all just laugh about it and go home. But it was when the man spoke once more that Cedric realized he this was nowhere near a sick prank. "The Dark Lord shall rise again," Another splash against the water was heard, and the fire from the sound of it grew larger as the final piece of the man's ritual had been added. It was then a deafening silence that greeted Cedric's ears, leaving him wondering what was going on now. He could hear the little creature's voice, but this time, it sounded stronger and more whole. He sounded ready to kill, and by the sound of it, Cedric felt that there was more than three of them where they were. The little creature began to welcome whoever they were, wondering why none of them had come to rescue him. Cedric's stomach lurched as he realized that the little creature was Voldemort. He was talking to his death eaters, resentful that none of them had gone looking for him or tried bringing him back.

    "Welcome, my friends," He said, goosebumps rising on Cedric's arms and legs. "Thirteen years it's been and yet here you stand before me as though it were only yesterday," Cedric wanted to vomit, he did not enjoy having to listen You-Know-Who relish in his comeback and partying with his followers. "I confess myself disappointed. Not one of you tried to find me." In that moment, the welcoming atmosphere he once had, had vanished.

"Crabbe, Blair, McNair, Goyle," He said, thuds as knees hit the ground after he's said each name. Cedric figured these were parents of students from the Slytherin house, not at all surprised hearing each of their names. What surprised Cedric though, was the next name Voldemort had said. "Avery," Cedric knew he should have immediately had his face contort in shock at the news, but found his face immobile as well, though his chest felt as if his heart was ready to jump out of it. Avery? There was no way Holland could have been related to such people despite being a Slytherin. That made no sense, two of the most powerful aurors in the wizarding world, the greatest enemies of dark wizards themselves. How could they have been death eaters?

    "I've heard that in your current expeditions, you have taken a change of heart," Voldemort's spine-tingling voice tells the man. "Is it true that you are now an auror? However did they manage to let you in without asking about me? Did they not see what the remnants of the mark lingering in the skin of your arm?"