2. the evenings

~Timothée~

I'm not quite sure what Adeline did during the day but she was rarely there for the first few that I was. As a man of routine, I settled quite early on what I was going to do each day. There were many occasions where I could've run into her, breakfast being an example but she rarely showed.

After breakfast I would either sit in the pool house and read or sit by the pool if the sun wasn't too scorching. Luke would come and sit by me if I was by the pool and pester me about reading plays. Then he would go for a swim while I continued to read or took a nap because sitting down all day was just so exhausting.

When the sun began to set, Luke would decide whether we were eating with the family or whether we were going out. Nothing against his parents but I had more fun when we went out. I always kept an eye out for those blue eyes whenever a group of girls would pass by.

I did wonder where she went all day but I didn't want to ask just in case I came across a bit weird. Maybe she had friends around but the house had everything you would need so why wouldn't we just want to stay there?

One particular night, Luke and I were sat at a bar with our fake ID's in hand. It was rather irritating being twenty in America and even more irritating that you couldn't drink until you're twenty one. How does anyone expect me to get through college without alcohol?

"There are so many party's going on this year. Probably one every weekend if not every other day." Luke was telling me, seeming quite excited. I had been to a few parties with him while visiting for weekends.

"Sounds like fun." I nodded because it did. The people of the Hamptons were definitely people that I didn't understand.

"If you ask around someone's parents might be an agent or something. Flirt with someone's daughter a little bit, get on the good side of a powerful family." He suggested but that was definitely not how I wanted to get into the industry.

"Foul play, Luke." I shook my head at his suggestion but it only put more ideas in his head.

"So, you got a girlfriend?" Luke assumed and I simply shook my head.

"Don't have time." I replied as it was true. With all my college classes and extra curricular activities that keep me there, I didn't have the energy to maintain a relationship and hadn't done for a while.

"Well..." His head turned around in many directions as if to suggest something. "You have eight weeks surrounded by some of Manhattan's finest. By the end of the summer you'll have had enough relationships to last a lifetime." He held up his beer for me to cheers.

"You're disgusting." I laughed but tapped my beer bottle against his nonetheless.

Luke was one of the classiest guys I knew but when it came to women, he just couldn't seem to be nice. He'd never had a girlfriend, or if he did he always had multiple on the go. I was almost certain he was going home with someone that night so I decided not to drink too much since I would have to walk home alone.

"You're just too much of a romantic, living in this fantasy world of Jane Austen novels and Thomas Hardy." I couldn't help but roll my eyes at such a cliche insult coming from him.

"Jane Austen is overrated and they rarely end up together in Hardy, he was just feeling kind in Far from the madding crowd." I corrected him and he laughed, seemingly in agreement.

"So bring out your inner Marvell and find your coy mistress." He prodded me. Sometimes the literary references went a bit too far and they seemed to flow out of Luke when he had had a few beers.

"I do wonder how you even get girls sometimes when you talk like that." I confessed but it seemed to only spur him on.

"Watch and learn" he finished his beer and slid off the barstool.