11. pool fun

~Adeline~

Maddie started coming over a lot after the party, not questioning why I didn't want to go further than my garden. She knew Luke quite well considering how long we had been friends but he was always out with Danny now. So, it was just me and her and my wandering eye for Timothée.

I prayed whenever we would play tennis that he would wander down and sit with his book, pretending to read but I would know that behind his sunglasses, his eyes are on me. Before the kiss, I had assumed I only thought he was looking at me because I assumed everyone was looking at me. Now, I knew through my vanity that I was right.

The best days were when Luke and Danny stayed at home. It was usually the days that my mother went out to her book club, so they could be their most open. I didn't want to ask about the nature of their relationship but they didn't seem to hide that they were into each other.

The Wednesday after the party was one of the hottest days of the year, Maddie and I were happily sat by the pool listening to chart music since it was the only type of music we had in common. Maddie was into classical, being a pianist herself while I listened to indie bands.

"Watch out!" A loud voice boomed and suddenly a figure was jumping into the pool and the water was jumping out. Maddie and I squealed as if we weren't in our bikinis.

"Luke, you asshole!" I yelled, wiping my sunglasses free of water droplets. Just as they were clean, another body sprinted past and landed next to Luke, only slightly more gracefully. We screamed again, having not expected it.

"Ladies" A third voice appeared, sending my heart racing. My body reacted before I did, stretching out to make sure there were no rolls on my stomach or compromising shadows. "I don't believe we've formally met, I'm Timothée" He held out his hand to Maddie.

"I've heard" She shook it with a smile, taking him in up close. Over the past few days he had never approached either of us close enough for an introduction or even a good look.

"I'm sure" His eyes flickered to me so I looked away, pretending I wasn't listening. "Maddie right?" He asked as I opened my book, wanting him to ask me about it.

"Right." She smiled.

From the corner of my eye I felt his eyes look at me, running over my body before landing on the book. He didn't ask me about it, just walked around the pool and into the pool house.

"Timmy! You coming in?" Luke shouted over to him before he could take a step into his residence.

"Yeah, just gonna get my shorts on." His reply put a smile on my face behind the book.

"Since when do you read?" Maddie wondered as she noticed my new accessory. I closed the book even though I hadn't read any of it yet.

"Timothée gave it to me. I've never read anything worth while but he's suggested a few to me." I replied proudly, placing the book under my legs and looking over to her. She had a suspicious look in her eye.

"I thought you said he didn't want to fuck you." My eyes widened at her exposing words, looking over to Luke but thankfully he was preoccupied with Danny in the pool.

"He doesn't." I mumbled even though I wasn't quite sure how completely true that was anymore.

"So instead you've formed some sort of book club?" She giggled at the idea but to me it just made me sound like I was turning into my mother.

"No, he's just keeping me occupied. Summer is long and boring if you've got nothing to do." It's not like I knew that considering camp kept me pretty occupied for the past ten years but it was an answer. I knew Maddie would be confused over this, I wouldn't do it for anyone else and she knew that.