24. out

~Timothée~

Breakfast was excruciating because Adeline hadn't turned up. I could barely get down my scrambled eggs in anticipation. All I wanted was to talk to her, apologise and hopefully get her forgiveness so we could enjoy our last few weeks together.

In reality, I didn't know what was going to happen when the summer was over and I didn't like to think about it at all. We would be in the same city but so far away from each other. God knows if she'd even acknowledge me if we passed each other on the street.

Luke was silent which was unusual for this time of the day, he was a morning person which was one of his few flaws. He was always buzzing about what he was going to do that day or grilling someone else about their day.

It was an eery feeling as if exhaustion had hit everyone at once. It wasn't until Robert came down in a casual sports leisure outfit, clearly on his way to do some golf or squash or something.

I had given up trying to keep track with whenever Cecelia and Robert were home. They seemed to come and go as they pleased. The two of them muttered to each other about random names who had said something sly at the country club or not invited them to a party this year.

"Mom, dad." Luke suddenly spoke rather loudly. His voice was wobbly and nervous which made me nervous.

My mind immediately assumed he was going to tell us something about Adeline. Maybe she had gone home early or something bad had happened to her. That was what my selfish foolish brain thought of the minute my best friend sounded nervous.

Both his parents heads turned but only for a brief moment. They allowed him a millisecond of time to continue before they went back to bickering about how the gardener hadn't trimmed the hedges the way they liked.

"Are you ok?" I asked him quietly, noticing his hands starting to shake under the desk.

He either ignored me or didn't hear me although I wasn't quite sure how that was possible considering I was sat right next to him. His eyes looked clouded with thoughts, pupils wide and vibrating slightly.

"Mom, dad." He repeated his words from before and waited for either of them to give him more than just a second to collect himself together.

Their heads turned, neither actually looking at him. If they looked at him they would see the slight sweat building on his forehead and the gentle movement of his shoulders as he tried to contain his shaking hands under the table. All of these things I saw but couldn't quite put together the meaning behind.

"What, Luke?" His mom asked, irritated.

He opened his mouth, that's when I noticed his chapped lips. He didn't say anything, just looked as if he was trying to. The Adam's Apple against his throat bobbed as he licked them to try and get some moisture.

"Spit it out, son." His dad demanded.

"Danny's my boyfriend."

The silence would have been deafening if Willow hadn't of entered at that exact moment, heard the confession and dropped her tray on the floor in what I'm guessing was shock.

Everyone's heads turned to the loud sound. Willow was staring up at Luke, her hands still out in front of her as if she was holding the tray. I looked back to Luke, who looked terrified as I could imagine.

This wasn't something I should be witnessing, I knew that. I took my moment to stand up and approach Willow to help her pick up everything she had dropped.

"Don't help her Timothée, she's always dropping things." Cecelia's voice called over to me. My heart ached slightly at the thought of that being the first thing she said after her son basically coming out to her. I felt guilty but my intentions were pure.