18. the devil's lettuce

~Adeline~

I didn't get much sleep the night after the bonfire. It was a real shame I hadn't enjoyed it as much I had hoped. Many things factored into my underwhelmed demeanour, Timothée talking to that Melanie girl, Sam making an appearance and the way everyone looked at me.

Maddie was still asleep when I woke up. I was never one to lay in after waking up unless of course I was with Timothée. It was odd to know he was just across the hall. It was tempting, a bit too tempting to stay with him that night but I knew Maddie wouldn't appreciate it if I had sex in her house when she was right across the hall.

It was too early for her to be awake anytime soon, there was no harm in just going to see if he was awake.

Carefully creeping across the hallway, my heart pounded with anticipation and nerves of whether Maddie would wake up and assume the worst. My intentions were pure, I had grown attached to our mornings and just wanted to spend this one with him at least for a couple of hours.

He was still asleep when I opened the door, tip toeing in and shutting it behind me. His body was still, curls falling over his face as his mouth hung open slightly to let him breathe.

As soon as I pressed one knee down onto the mattress to try and climb in with him, he opened his eyes which looked dazed and tired. He didn't object when I slipped my body next to his, in fact he moved over without a word exchanged and wrapped his arms around me.

It just felt safe, our bodies pressed against each other and sharing each other's warmth. I wasn't even sure if he had woken up or if it was a reflex to allow me to cuddle him.

Mentally, I told myself to remember this moment because it might never get this sense of peace for a while. I knew last night would've been weird in terms of him punching Sam. It hadn't really crossed my mind why he would've done that. He has told me he likes me but I just assumed that meant he liked me enough to have sex with me, not actually care.

I was trying not to dwell, it would get me no where and I would probably ruin something before I even know what it is.

I was unsure of how much time had passed when his bruised hand moved, sliding under my oversized t shirt and along my bare skin. My body laid still, unaware of whether he knew what he was doing. His hand turned right just before reaching my breast, wrapping around my torso and give me a light squeeze.

"You weren't here before." He teased, his voice low and groggy from sleeping. That answered my question of whether he knew I was there or he was just responding to another body next to him.

"Came to make sure your hand was okay" I spoke quietly and in complete falseness. My head turned to meet his face which was holding a knowing smile. I felt the hand move again as he brought it between us.

It was slightly bruised, he clearly didn't go around punching people a lot. I would be surprised if he did considering how unthreatening he seems.

"How does Sam look?" I wondered out loud, my eyes taking in the purple marks. Timothée's face didn't change from the straight lined mouth and unamused eyes.

"Don't care." He muttered, forcing a smile from me.

"Such a tough guy now, are we?" I teased, watching him roll his eyes. I was unsure why watching him roll his eyes was so pleasuring, it had become one of my favourite things to do.

"You didn't hear what he was saying." His voice was quiet but I heard. His jaw was tight as if he was reliving the conversation in his head.

I didn't necessarily care what Sam had said about me. It was probably something generic that wasn't true. I'd heard it all before. Timothée was looking as if he had called me a child killer which only concerned me that maybe he had believed some of things he was saying. That wouldn't of been good.