14. unconventional amusement

there goes my consistency
——————————————————

~Adeline~

One thing I'm always extremely aware of is whenever I'm being clingy. Now that I had had a taste of Timothée, I didn't want to do anything that could potentially sabotage it happening again. Of course, he had never indicated that it wasn't going to but I didn't want to take any risks.

So, I didn't join him and Luke when they went to the beach. It might sound stupid but I didn't want to follow him around like a lost puppy constantly. I sat by the pool and started to read The picture of Dorian Gray. The words were a lot harder to decipher than Gatsby, I had to re read a lot of the sentences or say them out loud to try and get what this Wilde guy was on about.

Sometimes when I got bored I would dance around my house bare foot. Not properly dance, it was sort of a spin every once in a while and a skip instead of a walk. The cold floor felt nice against my feet and I liked the way the patter echoed throughout the house.

I swung by the kitchen to see if Willow was there and to my pleasure, she was. She was more a mother to me than my own mother was since ever since she was hired to be our house keeper in Manhattan when I was seven.

"Hey honey." She noticed as soon as I walked in. I rested my head on her shoulder, watching her chop up onions that I assumed were for dinner.

"Hello." I giggled but as soon as I let the sound out of my mouth, I knew she was going to know that I was overly happy and something must have happened.

"You seem happy." She moved her hip to bump into me. I shook my head, ignoring it so that I didn't have to make a comment. "Salmon for dinner, how does that sound?"

"Delicious." Pulling myself up onto the counter, I placed a bit of carrot in my mouth that she had just sliced and looked out of the window.

I missed him. Maybe I should have gone to the beach so I could've annoyed him about books, made fun of him until he rolled his eyes. My mind wandered, imagining his face as I touched him, the feeling of pleasure he gave me.

"What's the time?" I asked, wondering how long it would be until I would get to properly be with him next. The evening seemed so far away.

"Three." Willow's answer only made me groan. What was I meant to do all day, especially when he came back and I would have to just sit far away from me.

In the end, I sat by the pool and read my book, hoping time would go by quickly or the boys would at least come back. Timothée was right, this book was depressing. Every time Dorian looked at the painting, you could just tell it wasn't going to be pretty.

"Addie!" A voice called from behind me. At first, I jumped at the sound of a male voice but I knew it wasn't Timothée so it was mostly out of shock and not excitement. The person i hadn't expected was Sam.

"Sam, hey." I stood up. Surprisingly, he picked me up for a hug and kissed my neck loudly as a hello. "How did you get in?" When he put me down, I wobbled a bit.

"Willow let me in like she usually does." To be honest, I had almost forgotten he had existed since I was so wrapped up in Timothée, literally.

"Oh, great." I sighed, mentally cursing Willow.

"She invited me to stay for dinner, hope you don't mind." He sat down on the sun lounger next to mine. Of course I minded and for a moment I considered saying no but how could I? I was a bitch but I wasn't a kick a puppy bitch and this boy was a puppy.

"Okay but I'm reading so don't interrupt." That being said, I wasn't going to be nice to the guy. He laughed as if I was joking but did as he was told when I resumed my position in the distressing novel.