5. apple and peanut butter

~Adeline~

Marcus' party was full of frat boys who's eyes seemed to make me feel more violated than any words they could throw at me. That was one thing I liked about being part of the elite, they could eye me all they want but touch me without my permission and I could ruin their lives.

"Here." Maddie handed me a drink as we stood in the back yard of yet another Hampton house. I looked down into the red solo cup to see pretty much just foam. Great.

This house was smaller than mine but it wasn't hard to be. It didn't have a tennis court, only a pool and not even a pool house. Clearly he was throwing this party to make some friends and not show off his assets. I almost scoffed when I heard someone compliment his house.

"Thanks. What's your plan of action tonight?" I asked, knowing she had scouted out the boys she wanted to hook up with before the end of the summer.

She started talking about her first endeavour, Sebastian. We knew him from school and I knew everything there was to know so I zoned out as she described him, looking around for the one person I wanted to see. I knew he was here because Luke was.

"And there he is now. Wish me luck." Her words caught me off guard but I kissed her cheek for luck and she sauntered off towards a group of high school boys.

I walked slowly around the pool, my eyes looking for one person only. If he wasn't here, it was going to be a real waste of a good pair of Lou Boutons and my favourite Chanel dress. From across the garden I saw my brother, his hand around a blonde that he was definitely bringing home with him.

"Addie." A voice appeared next to me. I knew immediately it wasn't Timothée because he calls me Adeline even though I hate it. Instead, I saw a familiar face. Someone I knew from camp.

"Sam." I smiled, genuinely having not expected to be there. "What are you doing here?" He was tall with curly blonde hair and a slim figure. At camp he was one of the only fun ones and had connections outside that could get them weed or alcohol.

"My cousin has a house out here. I'm guessing your family has one too." He assumed correctly but I didn't exactly hide my wealth at camp so it was an easy thing to guess. "No camp this year?" His mouth broke out into a smirk because he knew why, he was part of it.

"You think they were gonna let me back after last year?" I joked, sipping my drink but not breaking eye contact with him. He smiled and I realised that he wasn't bad looking, blonde wasn't exactly my type but it wasn't the worse thing in the world.

"I figured they wouldn't. Why'd you think I came here for the summer?" He was flirting and I held back the mighty urge to roll my eyes.

"You really expect me to believe you came here for me?" I laughed at the absurdity but he just kept smiling at me, his eyes full of desire aimed at me. For a moment, I considered indulging as his eyes flickered from my eyes to my lips.

"Believe what you like." His voice was low and tempting. I smiled at his clear intentions and finished my drink in preparation.

But then I saw him, stood in my eye line but much further away. He was talking to a girl, who was wearing the shortest ugliest dress I had ever seen. She was touching him, flirting with him and he wasn't looking away or backing off like he does with me.